Chapter 8

The next afternoon, John looked across his desk at Samantha Jones, his Technical Development Manager. "Did Harry get back to you?"

Sam shuffled through the folders in front of her, then passed him a stapled set of papers. "He's looked at the financial records and reports that Oracom has made public. They have a diverse portfolio of interests, ranging from rice production to solar power technology. There wasn't an obvious reference to military weapons or equipment, but they did have an emerging technologies sector with a multibillion dollar budget."

"Were you able to identify who manages that sector?"

Tanner stepped forward. He'd been leaning against the back wall, watching the small group in front of John share what they knew. "That's where it gets interesting. Their organizational chart shows someone called Darshive Fredericks as being in charge. Except Darshive Fredericks died six months ago in a car accident. The executive secretary from another team told me they're recruiting for the role. What she wouldn't tell me is who's temporarily doing the job while recruitment takes place."

"Does anyone have anything to add?" John looked at Martin and Sebastian, two of his longest-serving staff. Both men had been in the military. They were loyal and reliable, two qualities John never took for granted.

Martin looked John in the eye. "The CIA won't confirm anything, but we think they've planted an undercover agent in the recruitment process."

"Maybe two," Sebastian said in his usual deadpan way. "I've tried hacking Oracom's digital network, but I'm not getting very far. The firewalls they've designed are some of the best I've seen."

"Did you talk to Dan Carter?"

Sebastian nodded. "He's increased police security at the airport and they're keeping a close eye on what's happening around town. It's not easy. The heavy snow has brought all the skiers and snow bunnies to Big Sky Resort. The population around Bozeman has doubled over the last month."

John tried not to be disappointed by the slow progress they were making. His brother wasn't the only person convinced that the government wouldn't find the people responsible for the death threats. The Department of Defense's main concern was keeping the design of the drone safe from unwanted eyes. Death threats weren't high on the National Risk Register, unless you were the President of the United States.

He turned to Tank. "Did you find out who the ice skater was on Emerald Lake?"

"Mallory Fraser. She's a distant cousin of Tess Allen." Tank passed John a folder. "She's been working in Orlando as a physical therapist. According to the people I spoke with, she's heading home in another month's time. No prior convictions. Nothing that would throw a red flag in the air."

John opened the folder and looked at the picture of the pretty blond woman. "Is she staying with Tess and Logan?"

"No. She's boarding with the McFallon sisters in town."

John closed the folder and handed it back to Tank. "What's next?"

"I also did a background check on Franky Smith, the kid with red hair that's become Bella's friend." Tank waited for John to nod before continuing. "His family has had a tough few years. His dad hit a rough patch a couple of years ago and dropped out of sight. He lost his job, left home, and didn't contact anyone. There was talk about him living in the mountains, but nothing was ever confirmed. When he came back, his wife left him. He eventually found a job pumping gas."

"Does Franky have any brothers or sisters?" John asked.

"A younger sister. She goes to Bozeman Elementary School."