Chapter 12

John stopped in the middle of the kitchen doorway. Grant was sitting at the table, munching his way through a gigantic bowl of cereal.

"I didn't think you'd ever wake up. Late night?"

John wouldn't get sucked in by the gleam in his brother's eyes. "I was home by three o'clock."

"So early? Must have been a good night. How's Rachel?"

John poured himself a hot coffee and leaned against the counter. "Good."

Grant's spoon paused halfway to his mouth. "How did chapter one work out for you?"

"Good."

"I suppose the smile on your face means you had a good night's sleep, too."

John sipped his coffee.

"The silent treatment doesn't work anymore."

Bella ran into the kitchen. "Hi, Dad. Have you seen the snow outside? Tank's going to build a snowman with me."

Tank walked into the kitchen behind Bella. "We'll build the snowman after breakfast." He helped himself to a coffee and looked closely at John. "Tough night at work, boss?"

Grant choked on his cereal.

There was a reason John hired top military staff, only now he was regretting it.

Tank's eyes narrowed. "Tanner called. Said you were at Tess and Logan's house when he finished for the night. Is everything all right?"

Bella put two slices of bread in the toaster. "You saw Rachel? Did she like my Christmas present?"

A smile pulled at Grant's lips. "Good question, Bella."

John ignored his brother. "She didn't open it. She wanted you to be there, too."

Bella looked suitably impressed at Rachel's thoughtfulness. John felt slightly guilty about stretching the truth for his daughter.

Grant wasn't fooled.

Tank touched the microphone on his headset. "A police car's coming through the front gates, boss. Connor said it's the chief of police."

Bella's toast popped. She opened the refrigerator and found the butter. "Mrs. Daniels has some cake and cookies in the pantry."

John poured the rest of his coffee down the sink and rinsed his mug. "It's probably too early for cake, but thanks for the reminder. Make sure you eat your toast before going outside."

John looked at Tank before he left the kitchen. He knew Tank wouldn't let Bella outside until they'd heard what Dan had to say.

He stood on the front porch and watched the police truck park close to the house.

"I have news about the Oracom investigation," Dan said as he shook John's hand. "Is there somewhere we can talk?"

"Sure, follow me." John led the way into his office. "Have a seat."

"Thanks." Dan sat in one of the leather chairs and took off his hat. "We've heard from the CIA. At six-thirty local time, four top-ranking Oracom officials were arrested in Prague. They've been charged with conspiracy to murder, fraud, international espionage, money-laundering, and intent to harm. Your case isn't the only one the CIA has been investigating."

"What will happen to them?"

"The US Department of Justice has filed extradition papers with the Prague High Court. It's too early to know whether they'll be brought back to the United States for a trial, but that's the plan."