Planning

Topic: Toxic cultural stereotypes

Intro:

           What do you think of when you hear the word masculine? A guy, right? A tall, well built figure. Well what about floral? You think a girl, or feminine, right? What if i told you about guys wearing floral clothing? You would think of a guy wearing a Hawaiian shirt with shorts. These wouldn't be classed as stereotypes as these are general items of clothing, not anything "unusual".

However, if you were to see a guy wearing a floral suit, with nail polish and one earring you would class that as gay. Why? Because wearing nail polish and jewelry is a "girly" thing? If a girl was to walk in with a slightly oversized mens hoodie and snapback, you would call that cute. Or you would think that she's Bisexual or Gay as, stereotypically speaking, its not a girly thing to do. Why? Because girls are supposed to flaunt their beauty, not wear baggy clothes like a guy would.

Now, its all about girls and boys being sexualised, its worse due to social media and tabloid newspapers as they are presenting a specific image for what guys and girls need to look like if they were to be accepted by peers.

This. This is what needs to stop.

Main Point 1:

Its celebrities too, not just average teens. Celebrities big and small are being labelled because of what they wear,  if what they are wearing is "manly" or "lady-like".For example, many people have labelled a well-known singer, Harry Styles, as Gay due to him wearing nail polish and his choice of clothing, which consists of Gucci suits and high-waisted pants. Styles replied to these rumours by saying "If I get told a nice shirt is for ladies, it doesn't make me want to wear it less."Conveying that clothes do not show sexuality.

A few weeks ago, Harry did a photoshoot for the Beauty Papers. In it, there was a picture with him wearing fishnets and  I, too, thought that was a bit strange. The I saw a photo where he had a suit on. That's okay though, right? Well he also had make-up on. Now that's not very masculine is it? You see that a guy is wearing make-up and immediately you want to pounce on the opportunity to to insult him, not caring if it would hurt his feelings, not caring about why he has make-up on. You see that and you just completely overlook the meaning behind it. Do you know the meaning behind him wearing makeup? You don't. He was, and still is, trying to break toxic masculine stereotypes. But you don't want to know that, your brain has been wired to think that, that is wrong when it isn't. It isn't and it shouldn't ever be wrong.

Clothes are a personal preference and a like/dislike. Its not a matter of thinking 'oh im straight so i can only wear what shows that' rather; its about wearing what you like because you can, not because of your sexuality or gender. If a guy wants to wear a dress, go for it. If a girl wants to wear basketball shorts or jerseys than they should be able to.

Main Point 2:

Childhood gender stereotyping has an impact on people, telling young children how they can and can't behave due to their gender is limiting. It limits girls from going into a sport like basketball because they would have been told that its a guys sport. Who knows, she might have been the best female basketball player and you just stopped her from doing what she wants. It limits boys from doing what they like, it could stop him from designing clothes if growing up he was told that textiles are for girls. You never know, he might have grown up to be the best designer clothes designer.

Childhood gender stereotyping has an impact on people.A study has shown that 45% of people have said that they experienced gender stereotyping growing up, which showed them a certain way to act based off their gender.

51% of people said that it limited their career choices and 44% said that it had an impact on their personal relationships.

Main Point 3:

Why do we live in a world where people still don't accept people for the way that they are? Why are people still homophobic? What did they do to you? Express who they are? It takes courage to do that. Real courage. It shouldn't be a bad thing to you, if you are able to express yourself, then why cant they? After all, they're human too. They have quirks, talents, likes and dislikes just like you do.

All we ever get from hate and discrimination is war, pain and suffering. Is that really worth it? On the other, from kindness, we get love happiness and a place to be who you are. Treating People With Kindness is not hard. If to you is it, then be civil. Its doesn't hurt to accept a person for the way that they are. It doesn't hurt to care. It doesn't hurt to be kind. And it will never hurt to ask how someone's day was. It doesn't hurt to be there for someone that's struggling with life.

Be that person to pick them up. Be that person who gives unconditional support. Be the reason that someone lives a happy life, not the reason someone leaves this world. Be the light in the darkness of someones mind and life.

I'm sick of people being treated so horribly. I come back to the same example as before, Harry. Yes, he wears nail polish, yes he wears unbelievably amazing floral suits, yes he wears rings, but so what? Its his choice and preference, not yours. You are not in any position to tell him,or anyone for that matter, that he cant wear something. You are not in any position to tell a person they can't do what they want because it doesn't correlate with their gender or sexuality. Clothes are fun, and they should be. They shouldn't be a symbol for gender or sexuality. They are a preference

Thank you for listening and remember, treat people with kindness. :)