Prologue:

(Important to the story, but I may revise later. This is still a work-in-progress)

(also if you don't like long reads- not for you. The whole story is exactly 14,000 words so far and ongoing. Just a heads up. Alright i'm done being obnoxious.)

(???PoV???)

Ikebukuro wasn't my favorite place that I had lived, but it came pretty close. I walked aimlessly down the crowded streets weaving my way between the pairs and groups of friends that had just gotten out of school. My white hair was gray from the overcasting clouds. I glanced around, surveying the bustle of people in the city's center carefully, not letting a single detail of the area go unnoticed by my dull gray eyes. The hood of my raincoat covered my identity fairly well. Although it hadn't started to rain, it was going to start soon. One of my talents was an impeccable memory. 

Just by looking at something, I would remember it for as long as I needed. My mind was like a complicated database of files and memories, stored away, some to be pulled out later when the moment called for them. 

My memory served me well as I made my way down the streets, weaving in and out, glaring annoyedly at the crowds that bumped into my small, lone self. I heaved a sigh of annoyance and kicked a rock as I turned the corner to an alleyway. I wasn't jealous, in fact: I hated being social. It just wasn't my thing. I would much rather watch social interactions than be involved in them. Not to mention the fact that I was selectively mute and no one knew my true name. 

The rock I kicked hit a trashcan and caused a loud bang to echo off of the empty walls that surrounded me. I was supposed to be scouting for information on the city's most feared and powerful people. I adjusted the earpiece that I wore and listened for any sound that may alert me to prescience other than myself in the dark corridor. I could hear breathing. Someone else was here. I smirked and listened closer, pretending to be on the phone. 

 "Do you think they see us?" 

 "No- but they'll HEAR us if you don't shut up!"

 "They're on the phone, they won't hear us." 

I was a technology mastermind living without being known in Ikebukuro. It wasn't too hard to live undercover. I had an underground network of technology that I used to stay aware. Unlike the infamous Izaya Orihara, I didn't flaunt my skills. Instead, I hid it from the world, especially him.

 I pressed a button on my phone and recorded their voices.

 DeeBot-I3: Scan the database for information and identity of the following voices. I thought, sending my recording back to my robotic assistant to help with my research. In no time at all, DeeBot sent me back some useful information on the profiles of the two men, who were still bickering like children in their cloak of darkness. 

They were informants of Izaya alright. 

I grinned. Perfect. You're not going to find me out just yet, Izaya.

I walked closer to them pretending to text on my phone. Once I got close enough, the both of them stopped their arguing. Clearly, they had weapons with them. 

Similar to the Black Rider, I was no more than a legend. 

They called me the Butterfly Spirit. I was no more than a whisper, yet I knew all. I smiled inwardly at the recollection of my own legend. A funny thing, it was. It was mostly true. I did know quite a lot, if not everything. 

I had a funny feeling Izaya was trying to solve that mystery once and for all and prove that The Butterfly Spirit existed for some sick and twisted game of his.

 I wasn't going to lie, although I had my reasons for despising his very existence; a small part of me admired him for his manipulative strategies. 

Albeit, he wasn't as good as I was, but he did a pretty damn good job at it.

 Yes, you heard me right. I was just as twisted as he was on some level. I wasn't as...psychotic as he was, and I didn't enjoy hurting others in the same way he did. Merely only for research. However, I did enjoy the idea of cause and effect on the normal human brain, and how easy it was to manipulate someone. 

I shoved my phone into my pocket and cracked my neck and knuckles, staring directly at the figures that hid among the endless void of shadows.

"Commencing Operation 'Kuro Chou.' " DeeBot's voice rang out in my head. 

Almost instantly, the synthetic flesh around my right eye glowed a purple-blue. The glow soon formed into a spinning, morphing, pattern of lines and curves as the eye itself turned pure white. 

The men didn't move, seemingly confused- and rightfully so. 

 After all, it's not every day you see a mentally disturbed Cyborg girl standing in front of you. 

Thunder rolled quietly. It was going to rain soon. I showed the men no sign of my emotions as I stood idly in front of them. They didn't move, and instead seemed to hold their breath in anticipation. I smirked.

That sure isn't going to help you here.

My database showed me the exact positions of the two men that stood in front of me. One of them was pointing a taser at me. 

Thinking fast, I took my phone out of my pocket and clicked a button. The Phone case shivered as a blade poked out of the top. 

After this, I would be sure to create some sort of projectile concealed weapon. Close range wasn't going to help much if they had guns or tasers. 

The man went to shoot, but I quickly kicked the device out of his hand and caught it, tazing one, and stabbing the other in the shoulder. 

I needed them alive. 

I observed the stolen taser for a bit, checking for some useful components in it. I stopped when I heard movement behind me and swiftly jumped backwards onto the wall, kicking my way off of it and up to the rooftops just as it began to rain. I heard the man curse in aggravation as I headed back to my base. 

I grinned.
 Another successful ambush deterred. Add that to the records, Dee!

 "Sure thing, Master Chou!"