Chapter One

A/N You know, I had a really long author's note written for you guys about this novel (I wrote it at the beginning of March before I even finished the book) but now as my journey with these two comes to an end (for now?) I came back and deleted it. Michael and Ian are not my typical couple, I don't think, and I felt like I had to apologize for that for some reason, or people wouldn't stick with it, but now that I have finished this book, I realized just how much I fucking love these two. Writing this book has been a journey and a treat, and I can just hope readers get a fraction of the enjoyment it has given me. This couple is special to me, and this family is special to me, and I'm not ready to say goodbye to either one of them just yet.
P.S THIS IS NOT THR SAME IAN FROM OLAL AND YCC. I just liked the name

For many people, shopping in grocery stores was a regular part of life, done just often enough that it was a non-event. It only took a handful of visits for a person to grasp the layout of their local grocery store, which was something the Bradford triplets had not yet accomplished- it was their first trip, after all- and they were therefore lost within the organic cereal aisle, the oldest and most capable of the three of them holding the list of items they were expected to gather. Daniel, the youngest, had been assigned the duty of pushing the cart, which he seemed less than happy about, but Michael figured that would have happened no matter what, and he didn't really have time to deal with it on top of assuring that the unnecessarily items Joe would contribute to their collection of food ever couple of minutes made their way back on the shelves.

"I still don't understand why Shelly couldn't just work overtime and come pick this stuff up later," Joe was saying as he pretended to read the back of a cereal box before throwing it in the cart, even though they had never eaten cereal for breakfast in their life. With a heavy sigh to convey his exacerbation, Michael returned the box to its original space on the shelf.

"Shelly's already working over time in order to finish the cleaning as well as the cooking," Michael pointed out, glancing at the list one last time before beginning to move down the aisle. Daniel followed slowly with the cart, not seeming to be listening to the conversation at all.

"Well, why couldn't we just hire someone else," Joe grumbled, following behind them slowly. "This is ridiculous. We've been here for like an hour". While this was true, Michael didn't think Joe necessarily had the right to complain, since they would have been done by now if it weren't for his lack of cooperation. "Why is it talking them so long to hire someone new in the first place? Marvin retired like a week ago".

It was getting increasingly rare for Michael to agree with the things Joe said, but he had actually found himself thinking similar things over the past few days. Their long time cook, Marvin, had informed their parents months ago that he would be retiring at the beginning of May, which happened to be nearly a week ago. Instead of preparing for the date, they had done nothing, meaning they had to make last minute arrangements for the time between Marvin leaving and them finding someone new.

These last minute arrangements consisted of their maid, Shelly, taking over in the kitchen, and the triplets navigating the grocery store with a list of the things she needed. Usually when his parents requested him to do such things, which wasn't even that often, he would do so without much complaint, reminding himself that it was the least he could do after they provided him with a life of constant luxury, free of any financial stress, but his final exams for school began in two short days, and he was missing his afternoon class to be there. This was something that his father would surely disapprove of if he had known, but it had been their mother who had assigned them with the task, and she had left before Michael could try to explain to her why he would rather go that evening despite the fact that they needed artichokes in time for dinner. She probably wouldn't have believed him if he said he wanted to go to class anyways.