chapter 2

As we passed threw a small bubbling village I remember faded, small memories from, we stopped in front of a field with sets of chairs in neat rows,  with a large stage  placed on the right of a wagon of...cells? Jail cells? I saw a blurred black sea entangled in chains behind them. I scrunched my eyebrows together in confusion.  My mother turned to me, seeing my expression and rested her hand on mine.

    "This will be good for you, Lucia. Black people aren't people remember? Just slaves." She reminded me.

"But mother, why are they in jail cells? Did they do something wrong?" I questioned.

"slaves belong either behind bars or on a felid working. You must understand that. Now no more questions. It is just the way it is" She told me, pointing her finger at me. She did this when serious matters arose that she needed to explain.

"Okay, mother. I understand. I'm ready." I nodded, the carriage door opening for me by the coachman, who reminded me of Santa Claus. I giggled at the thought. Mother smiled at me and led me to the packed field.  We walked over to a front and center seat, with a sign stating, reserved to the Clausmith family. Mother and I sat down, and I spotted father up on the stage, shaking hands with a man with a funny-looking mustache and a tux on. He spotted mother and I, walked to us and sat down next to mother. The same man my father shook hands with, stepped up onto the stage and raised his hands to quiet the crowd.

    "welcome! Everybody!" He yelled, a little too loud then needed,

"slave deals will be opened, and may the highest bid win!" He declared, and rows of people stood up and scrambled to the lines and lines of chained up African men, women, and children. They were now being grabbed, pulled and shoved by white families.

    "follow your father sweetie. Times like this get wild." Mother yelled over the sound and pushed threw jumbles of a white sea of men. I felt my breathing shorten as if my throat tied up into a knot. I never liked crowds. Oh, I wish I could just shove these men out of my way... Father was seen bidding on a family of slaves, so mother took my hand and walked threw yet, another, crowd of people.

"yes!" Fathers yelled, throwing his hands up in jubilation, sending a group of men away, angry and shoving their money into pockets.  He grabbed a row chain of slaves and walked over smiling ear to ear. The slaves looked down, with looks of pent up sadness and anger. Then, he looked up. that's when I saw him.

short one! but don't worry, after this chapter things get reaaalll! I'm so thrilled to give you guys more. make sure to put your reminders on and vote and comment! I wanna know how you guys like it! thank you for reading xoxo