chapter 3

His face was angelic, his slim cheeks were countered by bold cheekbones. His brilliant green eyes flashed like emeralds. His full lips were curved, as he bit onto them with nerve. He had slim muscular arms, wrapped in muscle. He looked like a god. A statue I would see in a museum. His hair was thick and curly, flowing around his ears to the back of his neck. I was in shock. My jaw dropped, and I snapped it shut. His deep green eyes darted to me, and his face twisted with anger, then smoothed. He raised one eyebrow in confusion, seeing my expression of shock. If Slaves don't count as human, I can guarantee this one is an angel. I thought.

    "Lucy, you look like you just saw a ghost!" Mother exclaimed, pulling my face to her vision, examining me.

    "I-im just fine mother.," I said, shoving her hands off my face. When I looked back to him, he was looking at the ground with his eyes squeezed shut, mumbling something. A prayer? I thought, tilting my head to see his expression more.

"look at me when I am talking to you n***!" My father snapped to the beautiful stranger, smacking his head hard enough to send him to the floor, bringing the rest of the chained individuates down with him. I was taken aback. I have never seen my father harm a fly. I had so much respect for him, but most of it died that day. I looked at my mother to see how she was reacting to this, but she just looked down at with disgust as they struggled to get up. I used every atom in my body not to ask what they did to deserve this. What terrible thing did they do? I thought. I scowled at them, pretending to be mad at them as well.

"Honey, why don't we go get you a doll at the souvenir shop down the road. Father will take care of this" she said, putting her fingertips to my jawline.

"Okay, mother. Goodbye father! See you at home." I said, waving to him. He just smiled at me and yanked the slaves up. I took one last look at the beautiful man, and looked away, feeling guilty for being attracted to a slave. As mother and I walked to the souvenir shop, she nudged me playfully.

"so? How did you like it? Do you feel grown-up?" She asked, raising her eyebrows.

"yes, I do mother. Its..great to see them getting what they deserve" I exclaimed, trying to fit in.

"that's the spirit" Mother smiled, kissing my forehead as we walked into the shop.

I held onto the little knit doll mother bought me, and stroked its button eyes. "let us go home sweetheart, women aren't allowed in these parts after 6:00" she told me, her eyes darting to find a clock. We got into the carriage that waited for us outside.

   I looked out the window, seeing the scenery change from jumping towns to the bog, to my neighborhood, filled with luxurious tall gated properties, that I gave names to. Every house. We stopped in front of my house, Ophelia, and I saw the sunset, laying herself down into bed, pulling the grass over her head, switching the lights off. I saw a new face in the house, a dark-skinned woman, with short little legs and a rather busty figure, with a maid outfit.  Her little arms carried three carrying silver platters, bigger than her entire torso. I sat down at the table, as the woman set the platters down with a quiet sound of relief. Roast beef, mashed potatoes, and peas were displayed before me. Hmph, I thought. I didn't want roast beef. I felt bad for the tiny woman carrying all those platters that most defiantly weighed more than two of her, I thoughtlessly said, "thank you miss" to the short woman, and her eyes darted to me filled with confusion.

    Mother glared at me. "Lucia Doe Clausmith!" Mother snapped at me, slapping my wrist.

"ouch!" I squealed, looking up to see the black woman already gone.

"we do NOT talk to the ni***!!" She yelled at me, my fathers eyes were hard as stone, with his face twisted with disgust. Towards me? I thought.

"im sorry mother, im sorry father." I mumbled in embarrassment, my cheeks red hot. The rest of the dinner was painfully silent, and after I finished poking around at my food, I asked to be excused.

"you may." Father murmured, not looking at me.