[ 22]

The car ride was so awkward and so long. Pete drove while I sat in the passenger seat and Keith sat in the back.

"You know, you would think that the head detective slash ex-sheriff in town would live just a little bit closer to his own station." Keith said while leaning in between our seats.

"Shut up Keith." Pete said while keeping his eyes on the road.

"You used to be the sheriff of fourth street?" I asked Pete.

"Yep , Mr. Sheriff Deputy that was my big brother. I was so proud." Keith mumbled.

"Yeah.. I uh, used to be. Not anymore." Pete said while looking back at Keith through the mirror.

"I mean how old are you? You're obviously not in your 30's?" I asked curiously

"And there's no way anyone younger than 30 could be a Sheriff or head detective of a police department."

Pete began laughing before answering my question. "When my dad passed away, I had no choice but to take his place. It was more of a gift to me to be able to take on his role at my age."

"How old are y-"

"Hey!" Keith interrupted.

"Eyes on the road pal." Keith said as he took off his shirt and then began unbuckling his pants, talking to Pete.

I looked into the mirror for just 10 seconds out of curiosity. I wanted to see if  Keith had the same body as his brother and he didn't. Pete was skinnier than Keith. Keith had more abs and Pete had more muscle, mainly in his arms and back.

"Enjoying the show?" Keith said while putting his new clothes on.

"Hey...Leave her alone." Pete said.

"I have to stop and get some gas." Pete said while pulling into the gas station.

Pete then put his car in park and turned around to face me and Keith. He began staring at Keith and giving him a serious look.

"Dude I'm almost 23 years old you're what, 50?" you dead ass cannot give me the "I'll be right back, don't talk to any strangers talk." Keith said while picking his nails and putting his feet up on the arm rest.

Pete then pushed his feet down.

"Keep your little dusty shoes off of my arm rest and I'm not giving you that kind of talk."

"Ooh what is this then? The birds and the Bees?" Keith said while tickling the back of my neck.

"No and stop being weird. Sit here, be normal, even though it's hard for you ... and don't say anything you have zero business saying. Please and thank you."

After Pete got out of the car he looked back at us through the outside of the window and said "play nice kids."

As soon as Pete walked away Keith leaned forward slowly and got really close to the side of my face.