Valleys and Chasms

They were days into traveling the mountain side when they finally reached the pass. It was a narrow, pebble strewn, passage along the side of a cliff. Torin had an strange comfort as her feet touched the rock's edge, where the grass left. As she peered out over the edge, her nerves rose high. The view of trees for miles had an eerie feel to it. The fog that settled into the trees as the water continued to rise further down into the deep ravine. The tree line to the village was barely visible, as the raging water rushed around the trunks of the strongest trees.

Looking ahead of her, Estien was leading them fearlessly through the narrow path. Torin chose to stop and remove her pack. Adjusting the contents some, she urged for her small cat to enter the opening of the pack, which Nel happily did. She gently positioned the pack back on her shoulders, with Nel peering through the side of the small flap.

"That's a good idea." Estien said as he offered his hand to help her stand.

She shared a smile with him as she took his hand. Taking one step forward, her footing slipped on the moist rock bed. She gripped tightly to Estien, her head suddenly resting against his chest. She looked up to him, her heart racing in her chest. She still couldn't tell what it was that was so familiar about him.

"You should watch your step." He said quietly, looking down to he gave an awkward chuckle, then offered his hand again. Firmly taking it and holding tightly to his grasp, Torin followed his lead.

"I've never had such an eerie feeling before." Torin began, "The sight of the ravine makes it feel much more dangerous then in the mines and caves."

As she glanced out off the cliff face, Harpy soared by. Her feathers seemed to frolic in the breeze as she moved passed. A smile graced Torin's face at the sight of the bird's carefree flight.

The sun was high and preparing to begin its descent when they arrived at an outcropping in the mountain. Torin took a seat on a low rock and set her pack beside her. Nel leapt from the pack and hopped about the opening, chasing anything that moved. A strong wind blew threw the opening, which sent Nel back into the pack, peering through on occasion.

"Is it like this the whole pass?" Torin asked as she offer Estien some of the berries they had collected the day before.

"No," Estien took a few and began to eat, "we will have to go through a cave to the other side of the mountain."

She nodded in understanding, trying to not show her excitement. Caves spoke to her, like they had some strange connection. She had more confidence in where to step in a cave, like the she could focus better.

They ate their small meal quietly and Torin used the time to stretch her arms and back. Estien stepped out to scout ahead, which appeared to be the perfect time to take a short nap. Torin leaned back against the rocky wall and closed her eyes, her head resting gently against the cool stone.

"Torin!" Estien's voice yelled out in the distance.

Torin's eyes opened and she took in the area about her. She saw the trees for miles and the great skyline with the sun high upon her throne. Looking around she saw movement below her, that was when she realized she was not on the ground. Panic set into her mind and she felt arms wrap about her body tightly. The ground was moving beneath her and she could nearly feel the wind in her face.

"Torin!" Estien's voice was louder, more frantic and closer. She tried to focus on his voice as he repeated her name. "Torin! Torin!"

Her eyes blinked slowly, as if they were weighed down. The space around her vision began to blur and soon she was able to clearly see the stone wall in the clearing. Her head was throbbing and her vision appeared blurry.