[ Chapter II ] : 𝑆𝑢𝑛 𝐾𝑖𝑠𝑠𝑒𝑑

Last nights events hung over me. I don't believe a moment has gone by without his image constantly recurring in my mind. His sparkling blue scales. His pale white skin. The softness his eye held. Sometimes I wonder if last night was all just me hallucinating, and that I got too much sun earlier in the day. I'm a life guard. I had to take over my friends shift because he had to go to a funeral, so I was out in the sun for a good 5-7 hours compared to my usual 3. I get heat sick really quickly. For example, like right now. I've been out here on the beach on look out for about 10 to 15 minutes, and I'm already starting to feel the slightest bit of queasiness. Yeah. Me and the sun don't mix well.

- Time Skip -

It was around 2:30 when my shift finally came to the end. The only thing that happened was the occasional, "Hey, can you look out for my kid for 5 to 10 minutes while I run to the bathroom?" Which of course I didn't mind doing. The only thing laborious about life guarding was the heat. I started to climb down as I saw my friend, that attended the funeral yesterday, walking towards me to take his shift. "Hey!" he said in his usually cheerful tone. I smile. His cheerfulness always helps me out whenever I'm feeling not so great. "How was the funeral yesterday?" He wasn't slow to respond. "It was a distant cousin of mine. Him and I didn't grow up with or around each other, so it wasn't that saddening." His dark eyes suddenly looked more sullen. "He commuted suicide..so that made it harder in a sense." The tone between us because silent. "I get it." It was quiet between us for what seemed awhile, which was probably only a couple of seconds.

I looked at him as he started to ruffled around his bag. He held out a bottle of SPF and started to apply it. "Hyunjin.." I looked at him once more, the cheerful side of him was once again, making the heat of the sun more bearable. "The way you're applying your SPF is very...um...unique!" I chuckle at him squirting a bit too much onto his hands and violently slapping his face. "You look like Olaf. Just not a dead one." We both laughed. "Thanks for that, Y/N." He stopped. "The funeral wasn't easy nonetheless." I nod with a smile. "Of course! No problem...Hyunni~!" Midway through applying his 5th layer of SPF, he stopped and glared that "what did you just say to me" glare at me. I cocked my head, "What??" I know how much cringe he has following that nickname, and how much he dislikes it. Hyunjin shook his head, "Just go home. You must be starving." I nodded my head. "Yeah...I'm pretty hungry." I grabbed my stuff. "I'll cya tomorrow, right?!" I waved my hand as I was leaving. "Cya later alligator." He shook his head with a smile. They're so childish. "In awhile, crocodile."

- Time Skip -

It was about 13 past 12 when I started to get ready. I put on my bathing suit and a normal pair of clothes over it. Some water, and some snacks in case I get hungry on the way to or from. I don't expect to be there long, but having things on the go just in case won't hurt anybody. It's about a 10 to 20 minute walk from my house to where him and I met, so it's not bad at all. I quite like taking midnight strolls. It's like a whole other world. The yang to the sun. I put all of my necessities into my bag and went on to open my window ever so slowly. Our house is one of the more aged ones, so even the slightest bit of movement can cause it to sound like a whole marching band decided to preform in our house. Escaping through my bedroom window may not seem like the smartest idea, but we live on a one floor, so it isn't that bad. I started to climb into the window frame, one leg at a time, then continued to go and become one with the outside world.

There were barely any cars outside, which isn't that surprising. As I got to the crosswalk that connected this street to the sand, I saw something. Rather someone. To my surprise, he was there. Waiting on the shore line. Half in, half out of the water. From a distance, it looked like he was drawing or writing something in the sand. I decided to pick up a jog, excited and joy filling every brim of my body. I ran down the slope, also falling a couple of times. When I finally got there, he was playing with some stones, obviously bored. "Hey!!" I said happily, waving my arm around like a snake. The tailed boy turned his eyes to me. I ran over to him, but as I did, he jumped; fear completely covering his body. "Hm? There's nothing around?" I looked behind me to see a long haired orange and white cat. "Ah! It's Sooni. Don't worry, she won't hurt you. She's just a cat, sand man. The most she'll do is ignore you and meow when she's hungry." I chuckled. How cute. The blondie pouted and mumbled something. I wouldn't be able to understand nonetheless, so it didn't bother me as much.

It wasn't long after till he started to talk to me. Well, tried. "ꀘꀘꍏ꒻ꉧꅐ-" he stopped midway, sighing. He motioned his head to the ocean "I can't breathe under water?! How am I supposed to follow you?!!" He rolled his eyes, motioning for my hand once more. It seemed like he had a tanginess of sadness in his expression. A pleading. I took a deep breathe. "Alright..I guess, let's go." I know I didn't seem that determined or confident in my answer, which I wasn't. I didn't know what to do, but like they say, curiosity killed the cat. And if I'm gonna go out this way, then so be it. The beached boy smiled at my decision. He put his hands in mine and held them tightly, which gave me some sense of reassurance. And then, with a one last deep breathe, we descended into the depths of the deep blue sea. Something that I continue to question myself if that was the most regretful or one of the best decisions I've made.