~ John Mulaney ~ Part.2

A gentle knock on the door woke me from my light sleep. The sweet face I knew and loved popped up from behind the door, "Hey," he spoke in a soft tone, "I got you something, I know it's cheesy." John carried a soft white teddy bear in his arms along with a small bouquet of yellow and pink flowers. Usually I don't like tacky gestures but this was very thoughtful of him. I accepted the flowers and bear genuinely and set them on the table beside me. John pulled over a chair to the side of my bed and gripped my hand with his familiar touch, "The doctors said you could go home today."

I shuffled to sit up in my bed, "Are you sure it's alright if I stay with you? I don't want to get in the way or anything."

John squeezed my hand a little tighter, "No, of course not...I'm actually looking forward to it." I tried to hide my blush but it didn't work. He quickly looked around and make sure my door was shut before leaning over for a kiss. Someone else knocked and he rapidly pulled away.

One of my nurses stepped into the room with a clipboard in hand, "Y/N, you're all set to leave at 4." She nodded and shuffled away.

I sat up to get dressed while John started to pack my things. I didn't really have much on me anyway, not since that night. But he snuck out to my dorm to bring me a change of clothes and necessities while avoiding my room mate. I can't thank him enough ancients have no idea how I'll make it up to him. Before I undid my robe I caught John peeking over, "Eyes closed mister." I joked, he turned around and covered his face with both hands, he respects my body, which I found a to be a missing trait that most of my exes shared. I turned too and clipped my bra on then pulled my sweatshirt over top and finished getting ready. He took my hand and carried my bag with him and walked me out the door. In the hallway he stuck out his arm for me to hold on to it, "I'm not crippled!" I joked but he insisted on helping me walk anyways.

When we got to his car a headache was forming above my temple, I held the side of it with my hand, as if it would actually do something. John must've noticed because his eyebrows came closer together in concern. He opened the door for me and asked me a million questions, trying to make me as comfortable as possible, "John, really. I'm fine!" I reached out for his hand, sometimes he's too sweet, but I can't be mad at him for that.

The city lights blurred as we made it to the highway where I could see the last inch of sun tucking itself behind the horizon. I turned the dial on the radio, John and I both looked at each other wide-eyed when we realized what song was playing, this probably wasn't good for my head but in the moment I didn't care, I was with John and that's all that mattered. He rolled down both windows and I turned it up to the point where we couldn't even hear each other screaming. I Wanna Be Sedated blared throughout the car and echoed around the highway. People honked as they went by, I assumed it was mostly for good reason but then again I thought I saw something give us the finger. I don't think it was because of the music though, it was most likely 'cause John was driving like a hundred year old blind dog who's texting while drinking a smoothie. Eventually, we got back to his house all in one piece. We were still yelling at each other, barely able to hear what the other was saying.

I walked into the spare bedroom of his apartment and sorted out my things before getting ready for bed. I changed into shorts and a tank top and walked into the bathroom, where I was met with a shirtless John with only his boxers on. I stood there for a second like a deer in headlights trying not to look at him too much. He pulled his tooth brush out of his mouth, "Always room for one more." I squeezed into the bathroom and started brushing my teeth too. This didn't feel new. I felt like I had been in this situation for ages, doing the little things with him like driving around and brushing our teeth together. I felt like I was where I was always meant to be. I'll be honest, I was checking myself out in the mirror a little bit, I hadn't noticed that John was looking at me through the reflection in the mirror until our eyes linked and he quickly directed his eyes elsewhere. When I was done I went to get a glass of water for myself, I had been here a few times so I knew where most things where. As I reached up for the mugs a comforting set of arms wrapped around my waist and a kiss was placed on my neck.

I curl up and John grabs a glass for me, "You head to bed, I'll get that." I place a kiss on his cheek and head back into the bedroom and wrap myself up in covers. John walks in with my glass of water, "Since you're not going anywhere tomorrow," he says in a semi-stern voice, making sure my stubborn self doesn't object, "why don't we binge cold case files? It's been a few days, you should be fine to watch tv."

I know he loves true crime, it's one of the many interests we share. We usually each take turns choosing a show and once we're done at least one season, if season 2 is intolerable, the other gets to choose the next show. I showed him MindHunter and he fell in love with it, but I'll be honest I've fallen behind on cold case files. "Of course." I reach up for a hug and a kiss before he playfully tucks me in like a child.

"Alright, I'll see you in the morning. I'll be next door if you need me." He adds

"Actually, I was hoping you'd stay with me?" I requested. It took no time for a huge smile to form across his face before settling in beside me, "Oh John, what do you think they'd say? A student sharing a bed with her professor? The horror!" I exaggerated.

John laughed and reached over to gently tickle me through the blanket, "Snitches get stitches Y/N!" He said in a nasally tone, "Maybe this'll keep you quiet." John leaned down and kissed me, being ever so careful with my lips. His hand ran down my body and drew circles around my thigh.

I giggled between the kiss, "Oh stop it you tease! I can barely keep my eyes open."

He placed one final peck on my lips and turned to shut off the lamp. I tucked my head between his arm and chest and wrapped my hand around his body. I could hear his heartbeat against my ear. His arm relaxed around me, guarding me from harm, "I love you Y/N." he said just before I descended into a deep uninterrupted sleep.