part five.

Squinting, Thomas brought the delicate cup to his mouth and took a sip of his coffee; the warm foam pressing onto his lips. Teresa had made the cup for him specially, using pressed pink tipped daisies, primroses and lavender to adorn it's sides. He ran a gentle finger along the side of the cup and smiled, thinking of the girl who had made it with only her mind and careful hands. The coffee was sweet and caramely against his tongue and he set it down onto the side of the stone balcony, just next to his half-eaten croissant that Brenda had made him and the others. Thomas smiled. He took in a deep breath and smiled at the city view that he was looking down on, he could see the tops of beautifully designed scarlet-bricked buildings, many with huge limestone balconies, extending a metre or so outwards from the sides of buildings, like the one that he was standing on. Below, people rode coloured by bicycles down the centre of roads and had all sorts of belongings in a small basket clipped onto the front, he could just about point out a bouquet of yellow flowers, a punnet of strawberries and one basket even had a small animal in- he assumed that was a cat. Far into the distance, Thomas could see mountains and fields of flowers much like the ones pressed onto his cup. The view was beautiful and it was clear that he was far from home.

Once he had finished eating, he opened a book that Madison had recommended him, she said it was 'dark and enticing' Madison didn't strike Thomas as the 'dark and enticing' type, with her pastel sweaters and a 'save the bees' tote bag which she carried about with her everywhere- people surprised you, he supposed. The cover was deep purple in colour and looked as if it was embroidered with astrological signs, star signs, planets, the lot. He noticed the pages were sprayed silver and he ran his index finger along them, gingerly enough to make sure he didn't give himself a paper cut. Thomas opened it to the first page-

"Hey Tommy."

Thomas didn't turn round, instead he just continued reading, although he couldn't help the growing smile that he had to bite back with his teeth.

"is that the book Madison just finished?" Newts breath was cool and danced across the bare skin of Thomas' shoulder blade where the fabric of his white t-shirt ended. Newt's head was hovering just centimetres from it. Still not turning around, Thomas answered.

"Yeah."

He turned round and looked straight into Newt's curious, dark eyes and then down to his beige sweater and black plaid pants momentarily before letting out an airy giggle and avoiding any further eye contact with the angelic person, who's face was impossibly close to theirs. Thomas continued looking out at the view of the city but Newts gaze never left the brunet.

"Gorgeous isn't it."
"What? Me or the view." Newt laughed at himself and grabbed the end of Thomas' second croissant and took a bite out of it.

"Bloody hell Newt-"
"Now stop right there. That doesn't sound right with your accent."
"I was just trying it out." Thomas forcefully whined, attempting to make Newt feel bad but it didn't particularly work the way he had hoped. "Besides. When did you get like Minho."

"Oh. That." Newt said, his voice muffled, chewing the croissant "Yeah, i'm best friends with him and Madison, fuck sake it's like walking into a room of sarcasm" he paused and raised an eyebrow "..and sexual tension."

"What now?" Thomas replied, wiping a stray crumb from the side of his mouth.

"Have you seen them?!"
"Elaborate."

Newt sighed and tapped his hands in some sort of rhythm on the side of the balcony. "The way they bloody look at eachother! I swear to god if they don't just kiss already i'll fucking force them too." Newt made some drastic hand gestures while saying this, his voice breaking here and there.