Day 11

"Daaaamoooon," Elena called. She was sitting in the room they had refurbished into a lounge, for movies, games, and the like. She had made it nice and comfortable for them and had stacked all the Christmas movies she had been able to find against the DVD-player. She had brought up more Christmas cookies, and all the snacks she could think of, along with a selection of drinks for them. They were pretty much set for a movie night.

When Damon entered the room, he wasn't wearing pajamas like her - he was wearing jeans and a jacket.

"You should go change into your PJ's, this won't be very comfortable if you're wearing all those clothes," Elena giggled at him, standing up.

"Actually, you're the one who isn't dressed appropriately," Damon said, gesturing to the movie room, "This can wait, at least for now. Tonight, it's my turn to surprise you. So get dressed and grab your coat."

***

Damon parked his Camaro at The Grill's parking lot and got out. Elena was still confused, but followed his lead.

"Where are we going? To get dinner?" Elena asked. Damon smiled at her and took her hand.

"Nope. We're going to take a little walk," he said, as they made their way toward the town square. There are a lot of memories attached to this place, Elena couldn't help but think . So many things had happened throughout the years they had known each other. She recalled several of the Mystic Falls events, most of which had taken a dark turn. Such as the Gone with the Wind viewing, or their fight against the tomb vampires. She had thought she hated Damon back then.. She had thought he was a monster. So much had changed since then, and they had been through so much together.

"I've never understood why Christmas is such a big deal," Damon said, pulling Elena from her thoughts, "Christmas is one of those things, that no matter where you are... no matter what century. You can tell. Cause it's this big thing that everybody loves and looks forward to, and I've never gotten it."

Elena looked at him, not interrupting, because it seemed like there was something he needed to get out.

"These past few days with you has really changed things for me," he continued, as they strolled, "it all sounds very ridiculous, but... I think I'm beginning to understand this. You've shown me what Christmas is like, when you don't come from a fucked up family like mine. You showed me that magic everyone is always talking about."

"Damon, I..."

"I know I complained a lot, but really, it does mean a lot to me. Thank you," he said, stopping up in the middle of the square, right by the big Christmas tree.

"You're welcome," she said, leaning up towards him as he pushed his lips against hers. Elena wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him closer, as she felt his go around her waist. Their lips parted, as they just held each other.

She didn't think she would ever get enough of being in his arms. It felt good to be like this with him, simply touching because it felt nice, enjoying each other, and not clinging to him because they were heading into mortal danger.

They parted a few minutes later, and went back to just strolling around the town.

"This has really shown me what your childhood was like, too," Damon said, as they turned down a deserted street, "I mean, we already talked a little about it, but Christmas was so different for me as a child. It wasn't a warm, magical time like what you grew up with... doing this with you has made me realize just how wonderful Christmas can be... and how amazing it'll be to have these traditions with our kids."

Elena felt her cheeks reddening slightly at his implication. Children...with Damon. It wasn't that they hadn't talked about it before, but it had never really seemed realistic, with all the fights and danger and the whole vampire thing. . Now, however, things were different. There wasn't any more shadows lurking around the next corner.. Their lives were almost normal, and suddenly the idea of marriage and kids, and all that followed, seemed like a very real possibility.

"Our kids?" Elena said, smiling at him.

"Two. Eventually," Damon smiled down at her, after repeating her statement from so long ago, when they had played their little five years from now fantasy. She shouldn't be surprised that he remembered those details.

Then his expression flickered, his lips straightened, and she wasn't the only one blushing, "I mean...I had assumed...We had talked about it. But I suppose our circumstances are a bit different..."

Damon trailed off, suddenly seeming a little fidgety.

Elena squeezed his hand.

"Eventually," she repeated, "Our circumstances have changed, yes, but that hasn't. I still love the idea of a family...with you." She tacked on at the end, wanting to reassure him that they were on the same page.

Damon smiled at her.

"I do too. A family with you; it's a nice thought," he said. Images filled her mind as she imagined how their lives might look in a few years' time. Maybe they would have a kid or two, running around whatever house they ended up in, after the boarding house was ready to open up as a school. They had been looking a while for houses that were near the college Elena was going to be attending. The plan was to move out before the various supernatural children started to arrive at the boarding house, towards the end of summer. Everything should be ready to go by then.Caroline and Alaric had both asked them to stay on, maybe even help teach, but it was time for them to move on. Elena's dream of becoming a doctor was stronger than ever, and Damon knew this was his last lifetime to live. They needed to leave for a while and have a chance to figure this whole human life thing out. .

***

"This was a great idea," Elena said, as they got back to the car after walking around for an hour, watching the town's Christmas decorations and the large Christmas tree.

"Well, I thought I was overdue to choose an activity," Damon said, opening the door for Elena, "the tables have been turned for long enough."

"You know, we still have time for movie night," Elena teased, as she got in. Damon went around the car and got in the driver's side.

"You know, a movie night actually sounds pretty great," he said, starting the car.

"Really?" Elena said, surprised that he would want to do it. Movies had never really been Damon's thing. It seemed like he had a hard time focusing for long enough to actually follow what was going on, but once in a while she got him to actually sit down and watch a movie with her. It was always something she needed to ask him to do, though, it had never been his idea.

"Yeah, a quiet night alone with you. The fireplace. A couch... sound great."

She squinted suspiciously at him, "You're not planning on actually watching the movie are you?"

"I have no idea what you mean," he faked an innocent smile and Elena playfully rolled her eyes, fully expecting some wandering hands, once they settled onto the sofa for their "movie night".