Chapter 4 - "I don't know your name."

Liv's victorious feeling was cut short when they heard the sound of shoes squeaking against the tile floor. She leaned forward to hear the footsteps better as Ezra grabbed her upper arm and began to drag her backwards.

It startled her and she had to take a few quick steps to keep her feet beneath her. Even as she stumbled, he didn't slow. He got them back to the door to the stairwell in five steps.

He slowed only to ease the door silently open and pushed her through before following. Liv turned to snap at him, but he kept her moving. He didn't push her up the stairs, but instead past them into the dark corner beneath them.

Liv had to duck her head to avoid hitting the underside of the steps. He finally let her go when she was sitting, her back against the wall. He sat next to her, pulling his knees in close.

"What...?" Liv started to say, her annoyance making her voice louder than a whisper.

Ezra held up a hand to cut her off. This only made Liv's annoyance turn to anger and she was about to say so when she noticed his breathing. His chest moved rapidly up and down as he held onto his knees. She could hear his ragged breathing moving in and out.

She took a deep breath and as she released it, she let her annoyance go with it. She looked away, trying to give Ezra enough space as was possible in their cramped location. She leaned her head against the wall. She yawned but it was an empty action. A few hours ago she hadn't been sure if she would be able to stay awake for the car ride home. Now, sleep was the last thing on her mind.

Her brain jumped to the man at the security booth and she hoped Tommy just hadn't come to work. But there was the other possibility. What were these men capable of? She could feel the fear creeping in as she fixated on the idea. It started in her chest. Her breathing began to tighten and slowly spread out, reaching for her arms and her gut. Her lungs began to fight against the tightness and her breathing grew rapid.

Then her dad's voice cut through the panic. "What is your next logical step?" Growing up, she had always loved hearing about his latest police cases and how he had solved the mystery. He had always explained that he had simply done the next logical step and that had led him to the answer he had been searching for.

That phrase had carried over into her life. Whenever she brought him a problem, whether it had to do with school, friends, or a job, he had always asked that question. It was a simple idea, but it always helped. It took her from being stuck or lost to knowing what her next step should be.

Even now, hiding under stairs as strange men searched the building, the question was still applicable. She needed to figure out what her next step was; which also include Ezra. She repeated the question in her head and she could feel her panic ease. What was their next logical step?

She started to go over what she knew when Ezra let out a loud breath. She looked at him and saw that the space she had given him hadn't worked for the better. His breathing was still rapid and his whole body seemed to rock. He pulled out his phone and the light from the screen revealed a wild look in his eyes.

"Ezra," she said softly.

He didn't respond as he began to quickly navigate through his phone. She watched for a moment until she realized he was mindlessly trying all the communication things she had already tried. She said his name again. When she didn't get a response, she reached out and grabbed his phone.

His head snapped in her direction, the full force of his wild gaze on her.

"Hey," she said gently, raising her hands cautiously as if she was dealing with a feral animal.