1. Preparing

The air was chilly as we walked, thick with the scent of pine. Sadie's eyes glowed golden in the midmorning sunlight as she peered over at me and grinned.

"Nothing like a pack forest, right?"

I shook my head. "You were right. A walk did help clear my mind. And my knees." I stared down at my scratched legs.

"Always does." She led me over a series of dead trees laying across the semi-designated pathway. My cousin was insistent on showing me her favorite route through the forest, even if it was treacherous for a human. Pack members liked to train in these woods—the denser, the better. At least, that's what my parents had told me of their training at Shadow Moon.

"Tomorrow will be good," Sadie said. "You'll finally get to go to school—"

"Lycan school," I designated.

She rolled her eyes. "It's not that different from human school. Where you have mathematics and history, we have...shifting and brawling."

"Sounds like a beneficial experience for a human who can't shift."

Sadie grimaced. "I'm sorry. My parents already tried talking to the Alpha. He said as long as you're living in a wolf pack, you had better know how a wolf pack trains and works. It's just a show of power, he'll probably let you go after a day or two."

"Sadie." I stopped in my tracks. "I can't brawl, or...whatever it is you do. I'm going to get killed out there."

"I told you I wouldn't let that happen," she said, and paused. "And we promised your parents that we would keep you safe."

The cottage was coming up at the end of the trail. At some point, we had looped around, and we were already back. I was glad—I was tired of walking. Everything with lycans was exhausting. They were stronger and faster, and most of them needed less food and sleep than humans.

Sadie finally glanced back at me and sighed. "Olivia, you're an honorary member of this pack. We aren't going to let you be hurt."

I huffed. "If the Alpha would get off his high horse and just let me finish high school online like my parents asked, this could all be avoided."

"The Alpha is...strong-willed." Said sighed. "He's been the leader of Shadow Moon for almost one hundred years. Very few have been with him the entire time, and most who have say he's harsh, but he knows what he's doing."

"Harsh?" I headed for the door. "I hope I never have to meet him."

Sadie stopped me by jamming her foot against the door. "Liv. You're going to be alright here."

My eyes darted out to the forest. "I would have been more useful with them. At the frontlines."

"Your parents wouldn't live with themselves if something happened to you. That's why you're here, Olivia," she said. "And that's why I'm not going to let anything happen. I promise."

I smiled softly and thanked her, though I knew that my cousin couldn't promise to keep me away from danger.

After all...this was Shadow Moon, I was a human, and the lycans were always hungry.

~AUTHOR'S NOTE~

What do you guys think so far?  

Are you ready to meet Alpha Malcolm (he's going to be here soon...)

Catch you guys next chapter -

Lola <3p