ludicrum

amusement

THE REMAINDER OF THE GAME went well, actually coming quite close with their rival team but winning in the end.  It was more than exciting to win a homecoming game.

Alexander and John were full and tired and still a bit high.

"Do you think you can drive?" asked Alexander, leaned against the side of the car, about to collapse. "Man, I'm so tired." John didn't answer. He got into the car. Alexander followed suit. "Laur?"

John had pressed his forehead against the steering wheel. "I can drive."

"You don't... look too great."

"I'm fine."

"You're lying."

"My dad's expecting me, I gotta... we gotta go. I'll drive you home first."

"Why don't you go to the nearest gas station? Take some 5-hour energy?" John looked too tired to respond. Alexander put out a hand and grabbed his shoulder. "I can drive. I'm more attentive."

"No, it's okay."

"I'm worried."

"Don't be."

"At least let me drive to the gas station."

John thought for a moment before finally caving. "Don't scratch it. You have your license?"

"Yes," he said.  "I have another month 'til I'm supposed to be driving non-family members, though."

"Ugh, fuck it."

They exited and swapped seats.  Alexander started the car as soon as he was handed the keys, reminded John to buckle up (he groaned and protested but did it anyway), and began to back out of the parking space.

It was a bitch getting out of the crowded parking lot, but he managed.  He noticed that, by the time they reached the gas station, John appeared to have dozed off.

"Hey." He had to shake his shoulder.

John didn't move but said, "Yes?"

"I promised you an air freshener and caffeine.  Do you want to come with?"

He groaned.

"Okay, I'll go by myself, then.  What's your poison?  MonsterRed Bull? Bang? Just a couple quick 5-hours?"

"High caffeine.  I don't care.  Take some money—"

"No, I'll be right back."  He left the car and took the keys with him, locking it.  The car was parked only a few feet from the glass window of the store, but he didn't want to risk it.

He was in and out real quick, the whole time contemplating what to do about John.  If he didn't perk up, he couldn't let the guy drive.  He was clearly not ready for that.  He was too tired and probably a little high, still.

Alexander probably had developed a greater tolerance for marijuana and was able to bounce back, still functioning. He was constantly deprived of sleep anyway and this felt no different.

In the car, he handed two extra-strength bottles to John, and kept one for himself.  He clipped the air freshener to the vent.  He turned the air on—not warm enough to allow John to drift off, but not cold enough to make them miserable, either.  The air smelled nice.  He wanted to get the smell out of the car best he could. 

"Shots, shots, shots, shots."  Alexander downed his two fluid ounces of energy.  John slowly followed.  "Let's chill for a sec.  I got you a bottle of water, too, and some eye drops."