I scam a crazy lady

"How did you do that?" I asked, stepping away shakily. My mind was still spinning and my body ached, like I had just experienced a little bit of everything and a little bit of nothing, all mixed together into a batter. I looked back at the hedge, expecting to see a deep hole, but it looked like it hadn't been touched. The leaves were darker on this side, and the branches looked more threatening and sharp. 

        "Does it matter? You're here, aren't you?" the guy shrugged. I looked up at him. He was very tall, taller than Ethan. He towered over me. I barely reached the beginning of his shoulder. His hair was incredibly curly and white-blonde, like little spirals of snow. He had a strong jawline, and a little bit of acne speckled his nose. His eyes were almond, suggesting some Aisan blood. He was wearing a grubby white shirt and thick black pants with suspenders. He looked like he had been picked out of the 1800s. 

        It took me a second to realize what was happening around me. Or, what wasn't. The rain had stopped. But more than that, It was like it had never rained at all. The soft leaves beneath my feet were dry and crackly, and the sun shone through aspen trees. Red and orange leaves like fire obstructed my view of the sky. 

        "Where's the rain?" I asked. The guy frowned. 

        "What rain?"

        "It was raining before. When I was on the other side of the hedge." I said. He thought for a second, than shrugged. 

        "Hasn't rained here for as long as I can remember." he said, "But I wouldn't worry about it. Things are different here." He pouted, and put his hands on his narrow hips. "So. You want your boyfriend back, right? And then you'll get me out of here?"

        "He's not my boyfriend!" I said lamely, "I just... work with him at Hammy's Hut. And he got hit by a car." 

        "Yeah, I got that part." He rolled his eyes. "Your name."

        "What?"

        "Your name. What is it?" 

        "Oh, I'm Ori." I spluttered, "Wait, what do you mean, 'things are different here?'"

        "It just is. Like the world is paused." he said, obviously annoyed, "Look, it doesn't matter. If you want Elliot back-"

        "Ethan."

        "Whatever. If you want him back, and if you're going to get me out of Infernos, than you need to do exactly as I say. This place wasn't made for people like you." Sighing, he stuck out his hand. "I'm Marcus." We shook, and stared hard at each other, like we suspected the other was a pickpocket. 

      "'Not made for people like me?'" I echoed, dropping his hand. 

        "Well, you're so ... alive. You don't seem like the person who would get stuck working for Mr. and Mrs. Inferni." he said. I wasn't sure if he meant it or if he was messing with me, so I didn't answer. 

        "Mr. Inferni. He's the one who has Ethan, right?" I asked. Marcus nodded, and pointed over my shoulder. 

        "Their mansion is to the East." he said. 

        "We should get going. The sooner Ethan gets to a hospital, the better." I said, brushing off my jeans and setting my shoulders back. "Lead the way."

        "Fine. But we need money." he said. He ruffled his hair thoughtfully, making it even more curly and insane. He turned out his pockets for emphasis. "You don't happen to have any on you? Cause I'm fresh out."