19. HOME

" Some people die young, but I'm begging you to hold on. "

-

OH, HOW SHE WISH it didn't happen. Oh, how she wished that William didn't say those words he said.

Such open insolence. It was cruel of him, and cold-hearted.

There were so many things Jo wished for, but after being let down time after time, she understood that wishes didn't work. They never did. Only temporary fantasies for you to think of when everything went wrong. It was misguiding. Yet nature had its cunning way of bringing you down.

She stood in the tent, once again. Alone and with her hands placed on the wooden table. Staring down and breathing heavily to herself, drowned in her own thoughts and feelings. Such stupid feelings.

On the bed, closely placed to her and neatly bedded for once, laid a brown suitcase.

It was packed.

It was waiting for Jo to grab it and leave this place. This hell hole that she for the past few months never wanted to come back to.

Yet there she stood. Conflicted and in shock.
This was not how she imagined that she would go home. The war was still happening. The loud gunshots were still heard throughout the night.

But Jo was still going home.

Going home to what?

And when she did get there; it would only be her. When the three Avair siblings exited their childhood house, that time ago- Josephine would be the only one to return.

And she knew how it would hurt to see her parents.
To know that they had just lost their sons.

Who was she to them without André and Fred?

She hadn't seen William in a while, but she also couldn't decide if she actually wanted to or not. She wanted to be angry with him, but she just couldn't bring herself to do that. She couldn't do that to him even though he hurt her.

There were things Jo wanted to tell him before she left, but she couldn't imagine a way to do just that.

Will didn't come back after she left and she had no idea where he was.

She closed her eyes as his name kept echoing through her mind, but opened them soon after feeling something in between her fingers. When looking down; she took notice in the same letter. At first thought, she wanted to rip it to pieces. Throw it away and then never see it again.

But she didn't. She picked it up and folded it, only to then gently put it in her front pocket.

Her gaze wandered around the place. She could still see the dying soldiers laying on the beds. She could still feel the blood on her hands and even though she continuously kept on washing her hands- the sensation just wouldn't leave.

There was a small piece of parchment, pressed into the side of the table, and only did Jo notice this after some time of standing there. She struggled for a couple of seconds to get it out. Quick to unfold it and read what stood upon the hand-sized paper.

'I wish I could tell you how sorry I am, but I saw your suitcase and couldn't bring myself to say goodbye when I knew that I'd never see you again.'

W. S

She stared at the words for longer than she first intended to. When she did look away, all that was left on her face was a look of mixed emotions. Her gaze fell onto the small paper for a split second before she quickly crumbled it together, sighing and stuffing it into her pocket, just like the other letter.