xiv.

it was the evening on the eighth of january, your arm around mine we watched the sunset. a husky faded sky collapsed in on us and we felt as if we could do anything. we were sitting on the roof, the middle of winter. nothing quite made sense to us yet.

it was the evening on the twenty-second of may, and we sat on my porch watching the sun set slowly. our empty plates of birthday cake and spilled glasses of lemonade stared while we looked into the sky. everything seemed to fit together, the end of spring.

it was the evening of october 31st and while we weren't out getting candy we watched the sun set as children in costume left their houses. something felt off to both of us. we didn't know what it was yet. the orange sky fit the glowing orange of pumpkin patch baskets soon to be filled. it was the middle of autumn.

and it was the evening of wednesday, march eighteenth when we ate ice cream and watched our last sunset. the dusk had a different meaning now, as we looked at each other. we had faded away, banana splits left half eaten and our love split in two. tomorrow was the first day of spring, and while you may not have realized it, it was winter's dusk. the last sunset of a season so well known to both of us.

a waiting dawn sat at the beginning of spring, a new adventure to start. watching sunrises alone gave a new breath to old stained books of history. flowers bloom and so does new meaning. i could feel it in my soul, we were a part of something bigger. and now, i feel alive.