Chapter Six - Give it a Rest, I Could Persuade You

It had been about a month since she last saw Matty. He and the band had to fly out quite early the morning after the festival, so there wasn't really a chance to catch up again once they parted ways at the bar. But that was okay, because he was considerably more talkative this time around than what he had been the last time. It wasn't quite the same as getting to properly hang out, and she missed seeing the rest of the band as well, but it was still better than nothing and made the distance more tolerable. She found herself holding her phone in her hand, contemplating if she should call Matty or not. Their last proper phone call was a while ago now – roughly a week she thought – and she wanted to tell him about the dumb thing that happened today that she thought he'd appreciate. She knew that it wasn't too late yet where he currently was, and the show that they had played earlier that evening should've finished by now. But she was always wary that he was a busy guy. As she deliberated on this, her phone started buzzing in her hand. For a second she thought maybe he really did have some form of crazy mindreading skills. But it wasn't Matty, it was her brother.

"Hey! How's things?" She asked as she answered the call. 

"I..." He sighed through the phone. "I got an email about you." Her brother started saying, his tone sounding unsure.

"What sort of email?" She asked with a frown, sitting up properly on the couch. This conversation was clearly important.

Before her brain had a chance to jump to the worst conclusion, he continued, "A job offer. For you. To tour internationally with a band doing merch." He answered.

There were a few moments of silence on the line as she processed this information. "Shit, what?" She asked incredulously.

"Some guy called No Rome?" It was more of a question than a statement, he clearly didn't know who that artist was. "Their label emailed me." He continued, but she had sort of tuned out of what he was saying. She had heard that name before but couldn't remember where... "They said that they had received high recommendations about you or something."

"That's so crazy, I don't even-" The metaphorical lightbulb went off as she remembered that band name. "Wait..." That was the regular support act for The 1975. The gears started turning at this point. "Did they say who the recommendation came from?" She questioned.

"No. Why?"

"I'll call you back." She replied instantly, knowing more than likely who had caused this email to be sent.

She hung up the phone before promptly starting another call. "Matty," She began as soon as he picked up, skipping the pleasantries.

"Yes?" He asked, an innocent tone to his voice.

"What is this job offer thing that you've done?" She accused.

"What job offer thing?" He asked back.

"I know it was you." She stated, not wanting to beat around the bush with something like this. This was a big deal if it was true.

"Did you get offered something interesting?" He continued. The amusement was starting to seep into his voice at this point.

"Just fucking tell me." She said with a deep sigh, pinching the bridge of her nose.

He hummed thoughtfully, waiting a moment before responding, "Maybe you should just accept the job and I can tell you next week in person." Well, at least that confirmed that he knew about it.

"You really expect me to just drop everything I have here and come gallivant around on tour with you?" She questioned.

"Kind of." He answered bluntly.