Chapter four - Sight.

When you slowly regained consciousness again, the headache was gone. Your ribs and leg still hurt, but less substantially than before. You were lying down this time, and strapped down much more firmly than before. There was no chance of you getting out of here. You sent your magic out to scan the room, but something... something felt different. In your head, no, on your head. It took you far longer than it should have. Eyelids were a distant memory for you, they'd been burnt so badly in the accident you hadn't been able to open them after it happened, but now... they felt lighter. Hardly daring to breathe, you tried to crack them open.

And you saw.

Light. There was light. You could see it. Your eyes widened, and then they were open completely. They'd given you back your sight. You blinked several times, emotions crashing over you relentlessly, and there were tears, real tears, coming from your eyes. It was only a mouldy grey ceiling, but to you it was the most beautiful thing you'd ever seen.

"We thought we'd have to use donor eyes, but apparently yours weren't damaged beyond repair."

The same voice as before. Your heart sunk; whatever elation you'd been feeling disappeared as quickly as it had arrived. This was bound to come at a terrible price after what you had done.

The cold slab of metal you were strapped to tipped forward, and you had to restrain yourself from shutting your eyes. You wanted to see, to look, but the light was so bright for your eyes which hadn't seen for a year. The owner of the voice was a tall, skinny man, who didn't look very pleasant. You'd imagined him almost perfectly just from his voice.

"I suppose it's nice isn't it? Being able to see after such a long time?"

You didn't answer. He didn't know the half of it.

"Well, you're not a chatty one, are you? I'll cut straight to the chase then. As you have presumably guessed SHIELD has not wasted their time, money and resources on you for nothing, we will expect something from you in return."

Your heart was hammering in your chest. You couldn't lose your sight again, you wouldn't.

"All we require is some information on that boyfriend of yours. Do you know him and your little group of friends have been searching for you? Three days is quite a while, I expect they're worried."

Three days?! How long exactly had they knocked you out for? They were looking for you...

"We will also expect your resignation from 'The Avengers' and for you to join SHIELD permanently. We have gifted you with what you desire most and expect you to return the favour."

Your head was spinning, unable to process it all.

Eventually, you spoke.

"And what if I don't agree to these terms?"

"Well, I expect you will have your sight taken again, and be tortured until you give in. You will make a highly useful weapon for SHIELD, especially with your sight, but you fared extremely well without it earlier, did you not?"

You fought down a sob of desperation trying to focus on your anger instead. You needed to channel that, not cry.

"What sort of information." you asked, quite politely.

The man looked taken aback, but quickly regained his composure.

"I beg your pardon?"

"What sort of information will you need? About Loki?"

Your voice hitched as you said his name, which gave you away to him.

He sneered at you before answering.