Chapter five - Escape.

Fighting an entire squad of armed SHEILD agents wasn't the smartest idea you'd ever had. Neither was throwing one of their men out of the window and probably to his death. But, same as you'd told yourself earlier, you'd gotten yourself into this mess and now you had to get yourself out of it. This matter was slightly more pressing however, because the agents were forcing you back down a corridor, despite your best efforts. You knew that behind you lay the high security cells; if they got you into one of those there would be no escape.

On the verge of panicking, and growing weaker by the second, you prayed that the team were close by, and your prayers were miraculously answered about two seconds later by the agent closest to you.

"The Avengers are here. Boss wants the girl downstairs."

"I don't think so." you told the agent, moving towards him with a grin, overly confident now that you knew the team was here. Loki was here. Everything would be- OW.

You looked down in shock as the bullet ripped through your thigh, hearing a scream of agony which may or may not have been you. The pain made your brain go fuzzy. That was your bad leg as well, the fucker. Your leg gave out beneath you again; you pressed your hand to the bloody wound, gasping in pain and feeling tears spring to your eyes. Someone dragged you painfully to your feet and hauled you away, through several locked doors. You stopped trying to remember the lefts and rights which you might need to escape and accepted your fate, trying to ignore the sickening pain in your leg. You couldn't escape if you couldn't run.

Finally, you were released, and dropped to the floor unceremoniously in front of a pair of legs.

"Boss." a man's voice said, and then the footsteps retreated and a door shut.

"You've caused me a hell of a lot of trouble young lady."

You almost cricked your neck you looked up so fast.

Nick Fury stood over you, smirking down at you with that bad ass looking eyepatch.

"Fury?!" you half yelled in anger and disbelief.

"You're welcome."

Son of a -

"What exactly is it I'm supposed to be thanking you for?"

"How about getting you your sight back? Or sending that stupid old man to see you when I knew he'd release you? He's obsessed with you joining SHEILD. Or tolerating your family coming crying to me when you got yourself kidnapped? Your alien boyfriend is one crazy ass bitch."

You let out a weak laugh which may have been a sob.

"Okay. Well, thanks."

"Again, you're welcome. Although I can't do much about that fight up there, only a few here are loyal to me..."

"Shit! I threw someone out the window, he wasn't...?"

Fury laughed, without any real humour. "No, he was a real nasty piece of work, probably HYDRA. His death will go... largely unnoticed, I believe. Even though he was launched from a window of the SHIELD HQ fifty floors up."

You breathed a sigh of relief, but quickly tensed again when you heard a crash from upstairs.

"I suggest you get out of here as swiftly as possible with that destructive family of yours, especially that boyfriend-"

"Yeah, yeah, I get it, you don't like him." you confirmed, struggling to your feet, well, foot. You couldn't put any weight on your injured leg.

"Fury... Nick, thank you. I don't know-"

"Repay me by getting that lot the hell outta here." he told you, waving his hands towards the door.

"Copy that." you replied, hop-limping over to the door and yanking it open, only to find yourself face-to-face with Loki. You both stopped short.

You knew it was Loki. It didn't matter that you'd never seen him before. He was covered in blood and sweat and had a ridiculously massive bruise on his left cheekbone, and his mouth was hanging open in disbelief, but he was quite positively the most gorgeous thing you had ever seen. Even more so than that grey mouldy ceiling.

His eyes swept across your face, your open eyes, and then down to where there was a gaping hole in your thigh pouring with blood, and then back up to your face. You reached out to cup his cheek in your hand, grinning broadly, trying not to cry, scanning his face intently, memorising every single tiny detail... he was even more perfect then you'd imagined.

"Loki." you tried to say, but nothing came out, you were too choked up.

His face broke into a relieved smile and he pulled you to him, wrapping his arms around you tightly. You did the same, ignoring the pain in your leg, and the fact that you'd gone light-headed from blood loss.

"I thought I told you to go back to the fucking jet." he breathed into your hair, squeezing you tighter, in anger or relief, or both.

You fought down a laugh, inhaling the smell of him, relief coursing through you. He was here, really here.

"Y/L/N! What did I just tell you!? Get your ass out of here!"

You and Loki both jumped as Fury's voice bellowed at you from the room behind.

"We were just leaving." Loki called, picking you up, careful not to hurt your leg and turning away.

You heard Fury muttering something about 'heavens above' and 'alien boyfriend', and pressed your face into Loki's chest. You were dead on your feet. Well, off your feet. You were tired, okay?

Loki was trying to interpret the voices that were all talking to him at once through his earpiece.

"The SHIELD agents have backed down, Thor is currently boasting about how he scared them – yes, Y/N is fine, I have her, Stark- stop yelling..." you reached up and pulled the earpiece from Loki's ear as he carried you up the stairs to the roof.

"He drives me mad." Loki scowled; you smiled lovingly up at the expression you were sure was going to become all too familiar.

"Y/N! Thank god, wh - your eyes... IS THAT A GUN WOUND? YOU CALL THIS FINE REINDEER GAMES??!" Tony was on a rollercoaster of emotions; the sound of him yelling at Loki was music to your ears. You were safe now.

"I'm okay Tony, let's get in the jet..." you felt like your head was filled with helium, and were pretty sure you were slurring your words.

"Try to stay with us Y/N, you've lost a lot of blood..." Bruce's familiar voice filled with worry made you feel so much better; you reached out to grasp his hand.

In the Quinjet the team tried not to crowd around you but failed miserably; you were slumped under Loki's arm trying not to watch or feel as Bruce sorted your leg out best he could while Loki stroked your hair and reassured you with that calming voice of his you loved so much.

"Guys... I'm sorry..."

There was an outburst of protest.

"No. Nope. I knew you'd do this. Sorry for getting kidnapped? Well, apology not accepted." Tony told you sarcastically, but looking at you with that look – he wasn't really mad.

"No one blames you Y/N, any of us would have gone stir crazy in your position..."

"You calling me crazy Buck?" you asked, raising an eyebrow.

"There she is." he grinned over at you; you smiled back, feeling better by the minute.

It was so good to see everyone's faces again.

Finally you arrived back at the compound; Loki carried you inside and tried to get you to eat something, even though you were practically unconscious at this point. You vaguely heard Nat telling him to just let you sleep, and you were entirely grateful to her for it. The minute Loki laid with you on the sofa and told you to go to sleep, you were out like a light.

You knew you were safe.