Chapter 7: The Bet

I talked to Diamonds to see what to do next. His advice was to sit back and let what I already did take affect. At first , that seemed like a good idea, but I know Spades and if I left her alone to think about everything, she'd try to rationalize the situation. Spades is also very stubborn, so I had to do something quick. I couldn't let her talk herself out of everything i'd been working on. 

During this time, I realized that something was off with me. My heart was pounding and I was having trouble focusing. I kept replaying memories of Diamonds. It wasn't hard to put the clues together and figure out that this was a crush. I now had three things to worry about. I had my classes, my mission and of course trying not to die of a heart attack. 

I tried to take my mind off it one day when I went to the gym with Spades. Zumba is a great distraction because instead of worrying about everything else in my life, I was trying to keep up with the instructor. 

The first class was tough because, we had to use weights. When I was 10 I accidently hurt my pinky with a 2 pound weight. I hadn't touched a weight since and Spades wanted me to exercise with weights with in my hands. I was hesitant, but I did it for friendship. Luckily for me, the second class was weight free. It was more intense, but there was no trauma that I had to get over for it so i'd gladly do it again.

After the class ended, we changed out of our sweaty clothes and started heading to Carvel. When we arrived at the ice cream parlor, I recognized the worker from my history class. I said hi to her and we told her what we wanted. I got a medium cup of Vanilla with caramel and Spades got a small cup of  Vanilla with peanuts. We paid for our ice-cream and walked toward a store to see if they had cupcake wrappers.

 I asked her if she was serious about confessing her feelings and she said that she's waiting for the right time. I decided to make things a little easier and said," How about this, if Clubs rejects you then I have to tell Diamonds about my dream?" she agreed and I realized what I just did. If Clubs got nervous and accidentally deflected or said the wrong thing, I was screwed. I guess we were screwed together.

 After we bought the cupcake wrappers, we went back to the car and called Clubs to antagonize him. Spades decided to do most of the talking and yelling. I listened and laughed because she was only yelling at him for not being there with us. He was busy working so we weren't too mad but quality time is good for a friendship. 

After their hilarious conversation ended,I had an idea. I told Spades," I bet I can get you two together by valentines day and if I don't, I owe you an ice-cream." She agreed and I know she thought it was impossible. It was exactly a week before Valentines day.  I had a week to make two oblivious people admit their feelings to each other.  

When I got home, I texted Spades and asked if I could use more hardcore methods. I was kidding, i'd do whatever I needed to to make sure the mission was a success. In all honesty, I already had a plan. I was going to fake a wrong person text from our private messages. I was just waiting for the right point in the conversation to slip up. Spades didn't need to know that it wasn't going to be an accident.  

I only told Diamonds that we made a fair bet. He thought that it was a great idea. He didn't know how awkward things could get if I lost.