Chapter 5

The past

"Everything's going to be fine. I'm going to hide you from them. You shall not have the same fate as your parents."

His words gave you mental support, reminding that you had someone to take care of you.

You were driven to a small cozy house. "You will be staying here for the time being. Bigger houses just make it more easier to find you."

He showed you around the house. It was small, too small for your liking but you didn't let it bother you.

"There's food in the refrigerator and..." He took out some money from his coat. "This is for your personal expenses for the month. You can't use any of your credit cards or any thing that exposes your identity."

You took the money from his hands.

"Don't worry, I'll visit you after a week. I can't keep the kids here for long. It's dangerous to them." He spoke looking at Jihye playing with them in the backseat of the car.

You nodded, understanding. "Everything's going to be alright." He assured you.

"It will. What is mine, will always be mine." You spoke determined.

"That's the spirit!" he laughed.

You took Jihye into the house as they left. Jihye kept running around the house, weirdly more comfortable than you. You looked at the money in your palms.

"This is going to be hard."

⊱ ──────ஓ๑♡๑ஓ ────── ⊰

One week later

You were waiting by the door, when Jihye called for you. She got scared when she couldn't see you. You called her name, calming her down as she ran to you.

It was night and no one has shown up yet. The money given for the month were finished as you've never managed money before. Dad did everything for you.

You straightened up when you saw a car stop infront of your house. A man and a woman got down and walked to you with a smile. "Mr.Kim has sent us to check up on you." The woman spoke.

You nodded, letting the people in. Jihye clinged to you as the man smiled at her. "She's scared of new faces." You explained. She kept clawing at your shoulders which kept angering you. "Excuse us for a minute." You mumbled pulling her into the kitchen.

"What is wrong with you??" You lowly scolded her.

"Bad people. He killed daddy." She cried holding you.

"Jihye! Stop staying nonsense!" You pushed her off.

You hated her a lot. Everything was fine until she showed up. She kept stealing all your attention. Your parents would always believe her lies which made you hate her even more. She dares to lie in this situation??

"No, I pormise! I saw!" She cried silently, choking on her tears. "Please lets go." She begged. For some reason, your gut told you to trust her.

And your gut feeling is never wrong.

You slowly nodded your head.

"Everything okay?" You heard from the living room. "Yes, I'm just bring you some snacks." You answered slowly opening the back door. You grabbed Jihye's hand, firmly and went at it. Before both of you could go far, you heard a voice.

"Shit, they're gone!" You pulled Jihye into the bushes along with you and closed her mouth. "Shhh." You whispered trying to calm her sobs. Her body was violently shaking, so was yours. The man ran towards the direction you planned to run to. Your heart dropped to your stomach when you saw the woman stop right infront of you. "Those bitches." She muttered under her breath.

Both you and Jihye stopped breathing. "What are you doing over there?? They might be on the highway! Lets go!" The man yelled to make the woman move and they both got into the car and left.

Jihye cried holding you as you did the same. The grip of your hand on hers was still tight. "It's fine, Jihye. I'm here, see." You tried calming her but failed to calm yourself. You lifted your clasped hands showing it to her.

"See, I got you. I'm never gonna let go of you." You cried. "I promise I will protect you Jihye. Till death does us apart." You promised. You had to leave the place as quickly as possible. You made sure not to go to the highway and escaped the city with Jihye.

Never were you that scared.

Never were you that responsible for your sister.

And it was only the beginning.

To be continued.

750 words.

April 19, 2020

Sunday.