Chapter 2

Rouge smiles when Shadow shows up in a flash of green. "Well, you certainly took your sweet time."

Shadow stretches his arms in front of himself. "A nuisance almost ran into me."

"Well I'm sure our dear Amy Rose provided a suitable distraction for you," she snorts.

He doesn't bother replying as he grabs her and warps them to the rendezvous point. Omega's already there with the unconscious bison in his hands. She smiles excitedly.

Shadow raises an eyebrow at her but she simply shakes her head. 

Rouge has barely decided to take a seat when the sound of a helicopter reaches her ears. She sighs and readies herself for its arrival. She'd just sat down too.

"Why's the platoon commander here?" Shadow hisses quietly.

Rouge throws a smirk over her shoulder at him. "Becasue, that little prisoner Amy Rose gave us is none other than Jax Wilder."

"Are you sure?" Shadow asks sharply.

She doesn't answer him as the helicopter lands. The platoon commander, a short athletic mouse, surveys them impassively. Her eyes narrow on the unconscious bison still in Omega's grasp. "Good work D-4," she tells them. She turns on her heal and heads back to the cockpit. "E one-twenty-three, secure the prisoner."

Omega doesn't reply as he and the others go around back.

Rouge and Shadow take their seats as Omega straps Jax onto the floor. She winces with how one of the straps creek from how tightly it's pulled. Turning her attention back to Shadow, she sees he's already closed his eyes and settled in for a nap.

She sighs and settles in for the ride as well.

Maybe she'll take Amy out shopping as thanks for the help.

--

Rouge looks herself over in the mirror as she assesses her outfit. It's tamer than some of her other outfits, but she's also not sure if she'll still accidentally come off as a threat to Amy.

She shakes her head. No. Amy's not one to think like that.

Grabbing her purse, she beelines straight for the garage. "Oh, Shadow!" She calls swinging the door wide open. "Are you ready to go?"

Shadow clearly wasn't expecting her if his startled curses are anything to go by.

"Sorry, hun," she replies absently.

He sets his tools down and eyes her suspiciously. "What are you talking about?"

She rolls her eyes at him. "Well, shopping obv–,"

"Pass," he interrupts flatly.

"You didn't even let me finish!"

This time, Shadow rolls his eyes. He makes an exaggerated hand motion prompting her on.

"Obviously we're going shopping," she says again. "And since I know you hate it so much, I decided to make it worth your while! I promise you'll like it!"

He eyes her skeptically.

"Oh, come on!" She stamps her foot. "It's more of a show than tell sort of thing!"

"If I don't like it?"

"Your choice of payback."

Shadow looks surprised for a second before its quickly replaced by his usual scowl. "Now I'm intrigued," he smirks. "I'll get my jacket."

Rouge moves out of his way as he enters the house. After a few seconds a thought strikes her. "Wear the matching fingerless gloves!" She calls out.