Revenge - A Short Story by @jinnis

Revenge 

By jinnis

"Mom, can I play outside?"

The big, questioning eyes tore at Maila's steadfastness. But she remembered the words of her sister only too well. "Don't let her out," she'd gasped, already near the end, the screen tainting her wrinkled skin sickly green. "Remember the twins, Maila. Keep your girl inside, or you'll lose her—and in the end, yourself."

She swallowed the bile that rose in her throat and put on a smile. "No, darling, I'd prefer to watch a movie, shall we? What was your favourite again, the one with the lion?"

Teena's frown was replaced by a big smile and Maila took her daughter's hand to lead her into the gloomy sitting room. The blinds remained drawn at all times, now spring had arrived, the windows closed. No one knew how the germs spread.

It wasn't supposed to be like this. Maila and Charles picked the house because of the garden and the spacious lawn. She had looked forward to spending time with her child outside in a mild climate, sitting in a lawn chair, perhaps taking up gardening.

That had been weeks before an experiment at a secret biotech plant went wrong. At first, people laughed it off. How could greenery be turned into a weapon? Then the unexplained disappearances started: outdoor people, farmers, gardeners, hikers, and campers. And then, a deadly illness befell those who ate salads or uncooked vegetables. Her health-aware Sis and the twins had been amongst the early victims.

Fighting the direction of her thoughts, she snuggled with her girl on the sofa and started the movie.

~

Charles called from work in the early afternoon to tell Maila he'd come home late. Yes, he'd bring the groceries, and she should not worry. They chatted a bit, exchanged words of affection, glad they had each other for comfort in these strange times. When Charles hung up, Maila's face was flushed, and a dreamy smile played on her lips. It vanished when she realised the kid was no longer playing in the hall.

"Teena?" She whirled around, checking the living room and the kitchen. "Teena, where are you?" Panic sent her up the stairs to search the bedrooms, the bath, even the closet. The girl wasn't there.

Then an icy finger of dread touched her neck and sent a shiver through her limbs. She forgot to lock the front door when Charles left in the morning.

~

When Maila found her daughter, a wave of relief flooded her with dizziness. The girl sat on the front step, preoccupied with a few pebbles and seashells placed there for decoration. She whisked her up in an embrace, hiding her tears in the girl's black curls. "Darling, why did you go outside? You know you're not supposed to. It's dangerous."

"I wanted to see the sky." She twisted her head and pointed upwards. "Tasha from the playgroup said it's blue and beautiful. But she lied. It's grey and dull like the ceiling inside. But have you seen what I found? May I keep it?" She held out a smooth black pebble covered with tiny brown speckles.

Maila nodded, still too giddy to forbid a tiny pleasure. "Yes, you may bring it. But promise me not to venture outside without me. Will you?" She didn't want to frighten the child with stories of zombie-like monsters and killer plants that haunted the social media, hardly believed them herself. But still, something lurked out there.

Teena studied her with wide eyes before she shrugged. "Fine, Mommy, if you insist. Can we eat ice cream?"

~

Later that night, Maila watched her angel, curled up on her blanket, eyes closed, and still holding the pebble in her fist. She was glad her short moment of inattention went unpunished. With a deep sigh, she ran a hand over Teena's curls and tiptoed out of the room, careful not to wake her precious child.

The sleeping girl turned to the other side, dreams coloured by the afternoon's experience—the yellow flowers she'd caressed, the grass blades tickling her bare feet. And how she found the magic pebble in the lawn, warm to the touch and whispering when she rubbed it against her skin.

And in the silence of the night, the seed pod enclosed in the warmth of the girl's hand cracked open.