Chapter 5: The First Plot Point

U1146 strode toward the back row of the battalion-sized Killer T Cell formation. The KT battalion, about five hundred cells strong, had established a checkpoint outside of the entrance of the liver, erecting barricades to slow down any potential threats. To emphasize the seriousness of the situation, all KT cells now wore special black riot armor and helmets instead of their usual military uniform and caps. They've also brought heavy riot shields, and short swords called a gladius instead of their usual arsenal of daggers and brass knuckles.

Opposing the KT cells stood fifty or so macrophages clad in heavy grey cloaks as well as hiding their faces with hoods. U1146 have never seen macrophages concealing themselves like these, though occasionally, they do wear monocyte armor when they patrol inside the blood vessels. Still, he found it unusual for them to wear such getups when the whole world was burning with high fever.

"Hey bud," U1146 finally approached a KT cell standing on the last row corner of the formation. "What's going on here?"

The KT cell, who wore a full-plated helmet, turned his head to look at him. He didn't immediately respond, but instead studied him for a couple of seconds.

U1146 raised his hands to his side, showing his opened palms, indicating he was not holding any weapons.

"Potential trouble," the helmeted KT cell finally revealed.

"Trouble?" U1146 raised an eyebrow. "They are macrophages. Why would there be any trouble?"

"They won't be if they didn't insist on getting inside the liver,"

"Why would they want to get inside?" U1146 asked.

The helmeted KT cell shrugged. "Beats me. All major organs are in strict lockdown. All cells going in and out must subject themselves for inspection."

He then pointed his gladius at him. "In fact, you'd also be considered as trouble if you suddenly tell me that you have some business inside the liver."

"Maybe, but I'm not sure," U1146 admitted, though he kept his arms raised at his side. "I got a tip that something bad was about to happen here, and my receptors are picking odd signals in this section, but I've yet to see any enemy."

The helmeted KT cell sheathed his sword back on his scabbard before placing a hand on his chin. "Hmm... Sorry bud, I can't help you with that. You should go and explain that to the battalion commander."

"I guess I would then," U1146 shifted his gaze toward the front of the formation. From his vantage point, he could only see the head of the KT commander amidst the sea of KT cells standing at attention. The KT commander seemed to be busy talking to the leader of the cloaked macrophages.

U1146 tiptoed to get a better view of the front. Then he saw her, and his eyes went wide.

"Wait, is that Lady Em?" he asked.

In contrast to her subordinates, the leader of the macrophage didn't wear a hood or a cloak but instead donned a large bonnet hat that seemed more appropriate for an evening stroll rather than a headgear for battle.

"Aye," the helmeted KT cell concurred. "And she's with her whole entourage."

U1146's face twisted into confusion as he slowly shook his head.

That, that can't be right... He thought. Lady Em was supposed to be...

The disappearance of Lady Em and her entourage had only been disseminated to a selected few, and it just so happened he was one of those given access to such a piece of information.