Chapter 18: The Greatest Erythrocyte

To face a neutrophil in combat was to face an avatar of death incarnate

Anyone foolish enough to fight the world's first line of defense would suddenly find their lives drastically shortened to mere seconds before meeting certain doom. Many antigens had tried fighting them off, thinking their strain could take them down, only to have their last memories of this world that of a snarling neutrophil just moments away from slithering their throats.

In fact, to even withstand the onslaught of a neutrophil was to earn a spot on a short list that included cells who also had an even shorter list of opponents that could technically out-best them.

Macrophages, in theory, would have no problem holding their ground against a neutrophil so as Natural Killer cells. Perhaps a couple more antigens could pose some threats as well, but an erythrocyte?

To even entertain the idea of an erythrocyte besting a neutrophil in combat was as absurd and insulting as someone claiming the venerable neurons, beloved and blessed by all, were nothing more than a bunch of senile old cells. Such a thing was just impossible.

But NT4201 was not any ordinary erythrocyte.

With a swerve to the right, she deflected a sharp dagger thrust from U1141 intended for her throat before lunging forward to deliver her own furious counterattack. Her lips curled into a snarl as she struck, blocked, and parried with such ferocity never seen coming from a red blood cell.

Her opponent, on the other hand, fought her with calculated fury. Not once did she saw him bare any emotions or befuddlement at the thought of fighting an erythrocyte in combat. U1146's face looked like it was carved in stone, expressionless and cold, but nevertheless deadly.

It was not the usual way neutrophils conduct battle. Most of the time, these ashen murderers fought with wanton abandon, screaming and roaring as they tear down their opponent's membrane bit by bit. If not for their noble obligation of defending those who could not defend themselves, then they would be no better than the monsters that they swore to fight or so she believed.

A creased of concern wrinkled her forehead.

Was he downplaying her?

Was she not a monster enough for him to fight her with all his attention and strength?

Her snarl formed into a wide grin.

"Have you nothing to say neutrophil?!" she laughed as she traded multiple blows with the ashen killer. "I am what happens when you fail to protect those you swore to defend!"

She swung her dagger sideways. Got blocked. Then countered again.

"You failed me!" she growled. "You and senpai failed me!"

U1146 glared at her for a moment before lunging in for another attack.

For all the corruption that had been done on her, she still should not be able to last this long against a seasoned neutrophil even if said neutrophil didn't take her seriously. The moment she bared her weapon against her senpai was the moment she damned herself to death.