School Days Part 4

September 6th, 2017(Sixth Year at St Isaac Jogues Academy)

"Agh!" Crap! I growl, trying to reach the last string on a far part of the fretboard. My hands are too small to play this guitar. This is not the first time I've had to use a guitar with a smaller fretboard. And certainly not the last.

Luka sits beside me. He watches my fingers trying to reach the far part of the fretboard. "What's the matter?"

"My hands are too small!" I shove the guitar into his hands. Luka smiles and begins playing. Whoa. He's good.

"Thank you."

"Did I say that out loud?"

"No, your face tells what your thinking." Oh. He's very observant. Where did that guitar from last lear end up? I wonder if it's in the back. I scan the room for Professor Abby Scott. Her eyes lock with mine and she holds up the guitar I was looking for earlier. Bless her!

"Thank god you found it!" I run over and take it from her hands. I pull the strap over me and let her adjust it so it fits better. I give Prof. Abby my thanks and head back to Luka. He's spread out on the bench so I take a seat on the floor. "Do you play?"

What kind of question is that? He gestures to the guitar in my hands. "What do you think." I strum a few notes and play a simple melody.

"The sound of the wind is whispering in your head, can you feel it coming back. Through the warmth, through the cold, keep running till we're there." I sing a few verses from Dotan's song Home. Luka chuckles.

"Of course you can play."

"She can play very well." Professor Kris Mitchell says. Holy crap! Where did he come from! So much for not getting snuck up on...at least I didn't jump. "Not even a little jump?"

"Nope."

"Damn, Ryan's right you're getting harder to scare." Professor Mitchell frowns before walking away. Knowing him he's likely going to complain to Professor Scott. At least he didn't see the expression I made.

"Nice face."

"Oh push off." I grin. He is right, I made the oddest face I could when Professor Mitchell came up behind me. "Everyone give it up for America's favourite fighting Frenchman..."

"Lafayette!"

Laff and I start laughing or asses off. In all honesty, since Hamiton came out that part of Guns and Ships became the way we grab the other's attention. Lafayette motions us over.

"Rogers, Coffaine play a with me."

Christ. What song? I turn to Luka. "Do you know Home by Dotan?"

Luka nods. Good. We take centre stage and watch as both Professors set up the mics. Mine is significantly lower than his and Laff's. Well it's only to be expected I'm bearly over five feet, so he has to be at least six-two. Laff is almost six-one, or so he says. I don't even reach Luka's shoulder. Christ, I must look so tiny.

"Dude, you're so tiny!"

"Don't we all know it Lahiffe," Laff yells out. Nino laughs and leans back in his seat. Laff nods to me and Luka. Luka begins fingerpicking chords and I introduce the song.

"This one is Home by Dotan."

"Run past the rivers, run past all the light, feel it crashing and burning, till it all collides, strike a match lit the fire, shining up the sky."
______

Assassination, what is assassination. Oh yes, killing someone without their knowledge of it going to happen. In other words, murder from the shadows.

In the change room, Kenndal, Alix and I are waiting for class to start. Kenndal is the tallest and always has been, Alix was shorter than me but over the past year and a half, she started growing like a weed. I, on the other hand, have been the same height for the past three years.