II Chapter 1 ~ [ The First End and the Next Beginning ]

* Around 1000 years earlier, ~~, ~~ *
"I understand that—you love me, and I love you, too—but you must understand that I can't, under any circumstances, marry you."

At the answer to his question, the maroon-haired male frowned. "Why? I asked for your hand in marriage formally—I, a Pureblood—so I beg of you, accept!"

The (h/c) girl sitting beside the man in a long couch bit her lips, gathering fistfuls of her long dress in her hands. She had always known the question would be asked, but she had never really been ready. Especially when she knew she would refuse. And now that it was happening, she was terrified.

"I know..." she whispered. "I do believe you are one of the most suitable people to be King, but I-I—ugh, I don't know what I feel, but I'm just not ready."

"Fate brought us together! When I first drank your blood, I felt our souls tangle together into a single life. You must have felt it, too"

"I did!" the girl cried out. "I swear I did, too!"

The man pulled back from the female, feeling guilt crush his heart before he pushed it back and embraced the girl once again. "Then what is it that keeps you from becoming mine forever?" he asked, his voice quieter.

The female lowered her gaze, her expression suddenly blank. "Because I felt it with him once, too..."

Silence fell over the room.

The man pulled the girl closer to his chest and brushed a stray strand of silky hair out of her forehead. He wiped a tear away as it fell from her wide eyes. "Oh, my precious doll..."

Even though the (h/c) had not said the name of the person she was talking about, the man knew exactly who she referred to. They were old news, but what had happened had left a scar in the girl. And the scar had not healed yet. Sometimes she wondered if it ever would.

The Blood Maiden is immortal, there is no way to kill her, but she had the power to take her own life. She had done it before, and she had almost done it again after a heartbreak that broke more than her heart. Loving someone after being betrayed like she had been would have to be hard. But the maroon-haired man knew he would not be like he had been with her before.

He had declared an undying love to her, had offered his eternal loyalty for her love in return. And believing he was the one for her, she gave him everything she was, everything she had. And when he had it all, he betrayed her.

He killed.

And with those he killed, he also killed her.

That's why the Blood Maiden had to strip his life away. He was buried somewhere deep, where he would have no chance of coming back. Not without blood.

And the Blood Maiden... Well, she lost herself in a sea of depression, not knowing what to think about the man she had and still loved deep inside. And it had taken decades for the maroon-haired man to get her to feel love again, so he wasn't about to give up so easily.

He pressed the girl closer to him and cooed in her ear, "Forget about what happened before, it is no longer relevant in your life. I'm here now."

(Y/n) took a shaky breath. She was so confused. Of course she loved him, but she was afraid.

What was she afraid of again?

She didn't really know, but she felt the terror of something creeping up from her spine, extending to her ribs and crushing her heart, making it hard for her to breathe. She felt the terrible need to cry but still fought to hold her breath and her tears back.