Chapter 13: Unified Strength

A good night of sleep was rare, but dreams were more uncommon. One night as I lay in bed, I dreamt that I bent over a baby's crib. I admired with joy the small bundle that slept so peacefully. It was about one in the morning when I had left Steve in the bedroom to enter the nursery and watch its little chest rise and fall. To make sure our baby was safe.

Suddenly, an unsettling feeling filled my gut. I felt like I was being watched. When I turned around, Thanos stood in the nursery's doorway. His appearance drew a scream from my lips as I hastily snatched up the baby.

"Steve!" I yelled as the Titan came closer and closer. He lifted his arm and poised his sword to kill as my back pressed against the wall. I was trapped. Easy prey.

My heart pounded with panic as I created a forcefield for protection. I held our newborn baby close to my chest and tears filled my eyes as I considered the future the child would never have. It was too soon to take its short life away.

I wanted to fight, but there was nothing nearby to act as a weapon. Again, I cried out as Thanos's blade struck down against my barrier, "Steve!"

No aid came to me then. With each strike, my forcefield weakened and I turned my back to Thanos as I crouched down to shield the baby with my own body. If I were to lose my life, at least let it be lost saving my child's. I shook with emotion as I braced myself for the final blow.

"Amber," Steve's voice finally reached my ears, except it wasn't from the nursery. "Amber, wake up." He shook me gently as I stirred and was drawn out of my nightmare.

When I opened my eyes, I was no longer cowering in the corner but laying beside Steve where I had first drifted off to sleep.

"It was just a dream," he reassured me. "Or more likely a nightmare." He searched my eyes for answers. "What was it? You cried out for me."

I didn't reply but covered my face with my hands. Fear filled me again as I considered what I had seen. "I don't want to raise a child in this harsh universe," I confessed between heavy breaths. "Thanos came to kill our baby. I wasn't strong enough to protect us."

Steve didn't try to uncover my face but placed an arm over my side and pulled me closer. "I know you're scared," he whispered. My body shook as I began to sob. "I wish I could take away all of your fears." He brushed away the hair that fell over my face and gently moved my hands to see my red, puffy eyes. As his hand stroked my cheek to wipe away my tears, he continued, "I can't take them away, but I can help carry them."

It's funny how strong you can tell someone loves you without hearing them say it. As he looked into my eyes that night, I knew that I was his world. While it was a wonderful feeling, I realized how dangerous it is to hold a hero's heart. To unintentionally sway their decisions in tough time-sensitive situations. What if Steve chose to save my life over the world's? So many other lives would be lost.

Every morning, Cap got up to save humanity, but I was what he thought of every time he held his shield. Each time he ran into battle, he fought for everything he loved. Me.

"Are you sure you're strong enough, Cap?" I whispered.

"Together, we are."

It was then that I understood I was wrong. I thought I was his weakness, but in reality, I was his strength.