13. Family Reunion

Anai almost couldn't believe that her brother Moses was standing before her, after so many years.
She wanted to run up and hug him, but she managed to control herself, for she knew that she wouldn't be allowed to do anything, until Rameses had decided that it was O.K.
After a few moments of uncomfortable silence, Rameses ran down the steps towards Moses, and threw his arms around his brother.
"Moses!" Exclaimed Rameses.
"Rameses" replied Moses, in equal delight.
"Look you"
"And you, you're pharaoh"
"Yes. And you, what are you wearing? Not that it matters. You're home now, and that's what counts".
Anai too felt that Moses outfit was very out of place. He didn't look like a Hebrew slave, but neither did he look like an Egyptian.

Before the brotherly reunion could get any further, Hotep and Hoy approached the duo.
"Your majesty, we feel obliged to remind you that this man committed a crime against the gods" admitted Hotep.
"He was banished from the city by your father" reminded Hoy.
"And if he were to return, he was to be put to death" added Hotep.
"Quiet, pharaoh speaks!" instructed Rameses as he raised his hand in the air, silencing the priests.
"I am pharaoh. I am the morning and the evening star, and I pardon Moses of any wrongdoings he may have committed. He is, from this moment, prince Moses once again, and a brother of Egypt" continued Rameses.

Anai sighed and she felt as if a great weight had been lifted from her shoulders.
Moses was alive, and Rameses had cleared his name, meaning that he no longer had to live as an outcast.
However, despite this, Moses did not smile, which confused Anai.
"Rameses, we both know that I do not belong here. I am a Hebrew, and the God of the Hebrew's came to me. He commands that you let his people go" revealed Moses.
Several people gasped, and many more began to whisper and mutter to the person next to them.
Rameses looked uneasy, "Let us discusss this in private".
He then placed his arm around Moses and led him out of the room.
Not wanting to be left out, Anai took hold of Seti's hand and dragged him out of the room with her, as she couldn't leave him alone in the hall.

Anai followed her brothers at a distance, until they entered the throne room, closing the door behind them.
"What are we doing?" Asked Seti.
"Shh. I need you to go back to your room and wait for me there" instructed Anai quietly.
"But that sounds boring. I want to go back to the party" moaned Seti.
"It won't be for long. We will return to the hall soon, I promise".
Seti frowned but nodded his head, before marching off to his room. Which allowed Anai to spy on her brothers in secret. She pressed her ear against the door, and began to listen to their conversation.

"Rameses, what do you see?" She heard Moses ask.
"I see a great empire, even stronger than the one my father built" replied Rameses.
"That is not what I see. I see a kingdom built on the backs of slaves" admitted Moses.
"Moses, I cannot change what you see. I must uphold the ancient traditions, like our father, and his father before him"
"But surely you understand what kind of a man our father was. His hands bore the blood of thousands of children"
"They're only slaves-"
"They are my people. And I can no longer hide in the desert while they suffer"
"So you only came back to free them. Not to see me?".

"I came back because the God of the Hebrews wants you to let his people go... Did you know that I have a brother and sister out there, living as slaves" revealed Moses.
"If it is their freedom you seek, then you shall I have it. I will sign the order today, if that is what you want, and they can be free" promised Rameses.
"I don't just want their freedom. I came for the freedom of all the slaves"
"It can't be done. I can't free all the slaves. The very idea is absured"
"Rameses, you are pharaoh, you can do whatever you like".

"When I was younger I used to think that. But when I became pharaoh I realised that things were not that simple. The priests and lords govern my every move, and they would never let me free the Hebrews. If I even dared to mention it, I would be alone against everyone. Unless..." started Rameses.
"What are you thinking?" Questioned Moses.
"I'm not thinking. I'm remembering. And I remember a time when I had you by my side. When you were here, no problem seemed too great. So here's my offer, I will try to free your people, if you stay here and lead by my side. Help me make Egypt a better place" offered Rameses.

"You want me to stay here?" Questioned Moses.
"Yes. The princes of Egypt, back together once more. What do you say?" Asked Rameses.
"My wife is going to kill me. But if giving up my freedom, will save my people, then how can I say no?" sighed Moses.
"So, you'll stay?"
"It seems like I have no other choice. So yes, I will stay"
"Good. I will go and talk to the priests, and start the process of freeing the slaves. It will not be easy you know"
"I am prepared for how difficult this is going to be. And while you're talking to them, I will go and tell the Hebrews the good news"
"O.K. I guess I'll see you later then"
"I guess you will".
Anai smiled, and she felt her heart begin to heal.
After losing Moses, witnessing her fathers death, and watching her mother lose her mind, Anai's heart had broken. But having her brother back in her life, had made her feel whole again, and she couldn't wait to talk to him once more.