18. Barren Fields

The 5th day brought a new set of challenges to Egypt.
Pestilence had swepped through the livestock in the night, wiping out over half of all the animals, from camels to horses, to cattle.
A lot of farmers relied on their livestock to survive and make money, so they were now struggling. The rich were suffering too as there were now a lot less animals around, therefore less meat for them to eat.
Stuck inside the palace, Anai could only watch as the Egypt she had once known began to crack under the strain of the Hebrew Gods might.
Luckily Bastien had survived the Pestilence, but Anai was taking no chances, so she was keeping him close to her side.

"It's strange to find you back here".
Anai turned her head to see that Rameses had entered her room, and was now making his way towards her. Bastien hissed at Rameses, and jumped off Anai's lap to go and hide under her bed.
Anai was perched on the window ledge, looking down at the city below.
"It's strange to be back here" she admitted, choosing not to address her cats hostile attitude towards the pharaoh.
"I know you've only been gone 2 years, but it feels like a lot longer" replied Rameses, as he sat down on the window ledge beside her.
"I wasn't gone, I just moved out of the palace. I still came here to visit you every day... But you're right. It feels like I've been a high priestess for a lot longer than 2 years" agreed Anai.

"You never gave me a proper explanation, for why you wanted to join the priests in the temple of Ra" said Rameses.
"It's complicated" admitted Anai quietly.
"Was it me? Was it something I did, or didn't do?" Asked Rameses.
"No. It wasn't you, or anything you did. It was a choice I made to keep myself safe"
"But you were safe. You were a princess of Egypt"
"Not officially. The second you became pharaoh, I got pushed down the pecking order"
"But you were still my sister, and a member of the royal family. Wasn't that safe enough?"
"It was, for a time. But as I grew older, I realised how valuable I was to the priests and lords. They could sell me to the highest bidder, and gain riches for Egypt. And my husband would get to be a royal in return. Becomming a priestess meant that I could avoid marriage forever".

"I never would have forced you to marry, just to benefit the kingdom" insisted Rameses.
"But other people would've done. And we both know that you are no good at standing up to the priests or the lords. The second I heard them whispering about who would make a good match for me, I knew I had to take drastic action, if I wanted to stay free" sighed Anai.
"But you're not free. You belong to the gods" reminded Rameses.
"We all belong to the gods, not just the priests. Anyway, what's done is done. We can't change the past. We must look to the future... If we have a future to look to, that is"
"Don't be so dramatic. Of course we have a future".

"I wouldn't be so sure" mumbled Anai.
"If all Moses can do is influence animals, then I'm sure we'll all be fine. We can cope with a handful of bugs, and a few less cattle in the fields" reassured Rameses.
"We have a lot less cattle" countered Anai.
"Still, we can get through this. We are resilent, which is why no Egyptian lives have been lost"
"Yet. But if more of our lifestock dies, then what will we eat? We'll be stuck with just our crops. But how long will it be before they get taken from us as well?"
"Egypt is strong. It will survive through this".

"Wouldn't it be easier to just let the Hebrews go, before things get worse?" Questioned Anai.
"I can't give up now. I have to see this through until the end. It won't be long before Moses sees that I am not going to change my mind, and stops his foolish mission" replied Rameses.
"I wouldn't be so sure. He is winning, so I don't see why he would give up now"
"He is not winning! His tricks are nothing more than a small hinderence to us, that's all"
"Maybe for you, since you sit in a huge palace, with everything you need at your finger tips. But what about the people out there who are suffering? Shouldn't you put their needs before your own pride and stubborness?".

"I am not just doing this because I'm stubborn or consumed by pride" insisted Rameses.
"Are you sure? Because to me, it seems like you're viewing this as a challenge or a game, between you and Moses. And you're refusing to let the Hebrews go, because you don't want to give Moses the satisfaction of beating you. But that is not what is happening here. Some all powerful being is going to destroy Egypt, unless you free the slaves. This is not a game!" replied Anai firmly.

"I am well aware that this is not a game. But I cannot let the slaves go. Egypt has always had slaves, it doesn't know how to exist without them. And I will not be the weak link, that bows down to a foreign God, and frees the Hebrews, allowing the kingdom to fall" said Rameses.
"The kingdom is already falling. Just look at it" admitted Anai, as she gestured to the city outside.
"Egypt is still in one piece, and while it stands, I will not let the slaves go!" Announced Rameses.
"Then I guess we'll just have to wait and see what hell Moses brings us tomorrow" sighed Anai.