2

Hiccup quietly wiped tears from his face, trying to keep a brave face as his father hollered threats and curses at him from afar. The Nightmare flew beside Hiccup, letting out an inquisitive croon. "I'm fine," Hiccup murmured, sitting up straighter.

"Where are you guys taking me?" Hiccup wondered aloud as the group of dragons suddenly banked right. Hiccup struggled to stay on as Toothless suddenly started flying at a sharp angle. "Wh-" Hiccup trailed off when he realized something.

Other dragons were flying in a close bunch, soon surrounding but paying no mind to the odd group of five dragons. Eventually, they lighted down on a seemingly deserted island that seemed desolate and sad.

"Where are we?" Hiccup whispered, looking around. Large amounts of dragons were all flying towards the same thing. A gaping crack in a mountain, almost not visible due to the thick layers of ash and smoke in the air.

"Oh," Hiccup breathed out. "Bud, I don't like it here. I think we need to leave," Hiccup whispered to Toothless, the other dragons he'd freed were looking agitated and worried. Suddenly, an ominous bellowing roar sounded from the mountain. "Let's go, NOW!" Hiccup cried out.

As Toothless and the others launched into the sky, an enormous head emerged from the mountain's crack, three eyes blinking at them. It began to inhale deeply. The Gronckle let out a little cry before it was sucked into the beast's gaping maw.

The dragon blinked again, straining before shooting a fireball at the remaining four dragons. "Let's go!" Hiccup cried, and Toothless roared at the other dragons, and soon, they had gained enough altitude to not be in danger of the monstrous dragon.

As the island got smaller and smaller in the distance, Hiccup couldn't help wondering 'what the hell was that?'

-

Hiccup jolted awake to something nuzzling his hand. 'I drifted off.' He realized, looking up. The left head of the Zippleback nuzzled his hand again, causing him to smile gently. "Hey there, Pal." Hiccup murmured softly.

He looked around at the four dragons and felt his heart drop. 'I wish I'd been able to save the Gronckle. Maybe I am useless after all,' Hiccup thought bitterly to himself. As if sensing his thoughts, the right head of the Zippleback nipped the back of his neck playfully.

Coming back to himself, Hiccup smiled at the dragon. "Thank," he whispered softly before his face lit up. "Hey, you guys need some names!" He exclaimed, jumping up in his enthusiasm. The Nadder let out a squawk of surprise, watching him with her head cocked.

"Hmm," Hiccup mumbled aloud. "I'm thinking I'll name you Fastwing," he said, pointing at the Nadder. The Nadder stood up straighter, letting out a purr as she nuzzled Hiccup. She had a name now, and that meant a bond had formed.

The Zippleback stepped forward next, heads bumping into each other in their eagerness to get to Hiccup, making the young boy chuckle. Hmm, Hiccup said, looking at the left head. One eye seemed lighter in color than the other, covered in scars.

"I think I'll name you One-Eye," he said, stroking the left head. The right head came forward with an inquiring chirp of his own. "I'll name you War-Fog." He said. The dragon stepped back, heads bowed.

The Nightmare walked up last, head low and unthreatening. Hiccup felt his heart burning with sympathy for the dragon before him. "You're the oldest here, you know the pain of this war, don't you, old friend?" He whispered softly. The Nightmare nodded tiredly.

"You must be so tired of it all, which is why I'll name you Peacemaker." The Nightmare arched his neck with pride now that he had a name. Hiccup finally took a moment to look around to try and get his bearings on where the dragons had taken him.

Hiccup's eyes widened. 'This is the Forbidden Isle!' He realized. No Viking had ever come back from the Forbidden Isle, which made sense as Hiccup looked around. The place was crawling with dragons. But not just the common types.

Large, stone-like dragons. (If you can guess which species this is before I post the next chapter you can dm me and have your OC put in the story for a short scene!) Serpentine-esque creatures with red and black scales, venom coating their body.

The place was a dragon oasis, a dragon wonderland. Hiccup looked around in utter awe. "This is your home?" He whispered softly. Toothless walked up alongside him and shook his head before speaking, taking Hiccup by surprise.

"No, Hiccup. Our ancestral home is the Hidden World, lost many generations back. We are forced to now live in the world of the Vikings, where we are constantly in fear of the loss of our own. I myself am the last of my species."

"Did, did you just talk?" Hiccup stuttered out in surprise. Toothless nodded, a sad smile on his face. "You as well are a part of a dying species. You are the last prophesized Dragonlord, Hiccup. And it is your destiny to unite the dragons and the Viking world."

Hiccup shook his head. "No, no that can't be right. I am shunned by my own people, not to mention the other tribes on neighboring islands. How can I be destined to unite us all?" Hiccup whispered softly.

Toothless gently rested his head on Hiccup's shoulder. "I'm not too sure, Hiccup. But I can tell you one thing. Now that you know of your destiny, your whole world just got a whole lot bigger." Hiccup nodded mutely.

"It sure as hell did," he whispered softly, "it sure as hell did." Hiccup stood and walked toward the edge of the cliff, watching the sunrise across the horizon. The four dragons slowly walked up alongside Hiccup.

Soon, all five beings were standing side by side, Hiccup in the center with Toothless behind him, almost as though he were his shadow. Almost as if they were destined to meet. And that it wasn't a simple coincidence.

And so, the two old souls stared out over the sunset, with three others as their witnesses. As they stood there, something in the universe clicked back into place. The world was in balance once more.