Roots

"When you're getting ready to slice the jalapeño you first gut it, like this." She swiftly pulled the innards of the veggie and cut it into four vertical pieces then sliced them horizontally into little squares. "When you're cutting the onions you cut then into long slices and don't let them fall apart as you go, then when you get all the way across you turn it and cut them so they're little chunks instead of long strands. The trick is to keep a firm grip, if they fall then its impossible to get the perfect sized pieces" She cut and in a few seconds the whole half of the onion was now in tiny cubes. The closest thing to cooking that I've ever done would have to be making eggs, all I add is egg, salt, and black pepper but here she was trying to turn me into a professional chef over night. I starred at her completely lost and she laughed a little then bumped me over so she was standing right in front of the cutting board. "If I let you cut the veggies we'll be here forever, all I need you to do is keep your eye on the chicken and flip it around so the pieces don't burn. Do you think you can do that?" She began cutting the rest of the onion and I stepped in front of the stove. "Do I have to season anything?" I looked down and saw a whole bunch of different seasoning already poured onto the shredded chicken, "Can you squeeze some lemon on it before you throw it on the stove or is that too complicated for you?" I squinted my eyes at her and mimicked as I went to go grab the pre-squeezed lemon juice. She giggled and looked over at me as I poured the juice in. "You make it seem like I'm an idiot." I dumped the meat onto the stove and it began sizzling "You didn't even mix any of the seasoning or the lemon Nik, you were supposed to mix it a little so the spices and oils could soak in for more flavoring." My eyes widened and my shoulders came up my ears "So thats why you left them on top? I figured you just added too much and thats how it was supposed to look." I started mixing the meat around to hopefully spread the seasoning and she shook her head and made the 'tsk sound with her tongue. This was it, I know I'm getting closer. I'm peeling her hard exterior and soon I'll be able to escape.

-

"You know, this chicken doesn't taste half bad." She put another piece in her mouth as we made our way to the kitchen. I nudged her shoulders and she laughed again, when we sat down she turned on the TV and opened Netflix. At first I didn't really understand but she started looking through these photos and they all had titles on them, she probably saw the look of confusion on my face and she put her hand on mine. "This is where people watch films, they're made to make people laugh, cry and keep them entertain." Before I was locked away in here there was talk of a thing called film, I wanted to go see one but I couldn't. It had slipped my mind all these years and I never thought of spending my time watching them "Here this is my favorite show, its a comedy and I always laugh when I watch it." She clicked on a photo and it had 'The Office" written in big letters, I looked over at her confused on how a show about business is funny. She lazily looked at me and tilted her head to the TV with wide eyes as if to tell me 'shut up and watch' so I did. There were two tall men arguing and I couldn't have cared less but she seemed to like it and if she's supposed to build a connection I'm going to have to just suck it up. She seemed to be melting in my arms quicker than I thought and it made me feel prideful knowing I still had my charm. She began giggling and she sat back letting the couch almost devour her, I had already finished my food and she wasn't even half done with hers, fuck she's slow. I went to go grab another plate but she quickly grabbed my arm "Where are you going the good part is finally coming up?" She looked up from the TV to look at me "I will be right back I'm just going to pour me some more of our not half bad chicken." I winked at her and she just smiled and let go.

I poured food and when I returned she was laying across the couch where I was sitting, she looked at me and smiled almost to test me. I walk over nonchalantly and sat on her, immediately she started squirming under me and kicking. "Stop it you almost knocked the food out of my hands and whats the point in us both being upset." I popped a pieces of chicken in my mouth and she began laughing and gasping for air, I couldn't really tell if she was being serious or if she was over exaggerating. It was probably a combination I was maybe 30 pounds heavier than she was, when I got up she laid there gasping for air and she quickly made room for me to sit. I plopped down next to her and continued eating as if nothing had happen. "Stanley seems to be my favorite character so far." I looked at her and she was already starring back at me. We continued watching the show and it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, I finished my plate and I wanted to mess with her a little bit. "Can you go put our dishes in the sink please?" She looked at me like I was an idiot and sat back "If you want the dishes gone then you can be the one to put them away." She didn't look at me when she spoke and I started to feel my anger creep its way into my veins but I had finally started earning her trust and I wasn't about to just throw it away. "If you put them away Ill wash them, come on don't be sloth, its easy." I figured a compromise would persuade her and it did, she groaned and got up grabbing both go our plates. When she started walking away I gave her a*s a slap and she quickly turned around to me, I quickly turned around and started whistling as if it wasn't me. I heard her mumble something as she left but I just laughed, I laid on my stomach as I waited for her to come back. I honestly expected her to hit me or try to push me off but she gently put her arms on each side of me and laid on top of me, her head laid on my back, her hands wormed their way under me so they were on my stomach and her legs were intertwined with mine. Her body was warm and at first I was going to flip us over but I figured she'd just move and not want to lay front to front. She was precious I couldn't lie, her heart was pure but that made it all the more satisfying to taint it and break it.

After a few more episodes and laughs her heartbeat began so slow down, I knew she was tired and now would be the perfect time to flip us. I turned so now she was wedged between the back of the couch and me, I laid on my back and pulled her onto me "Nik what are you playing at you sly dog." Her voice was low and she started to wake from her sleepy state, I wrapped both of my arms around her and let them rest on her back. She again wiggled her hands around me so they were under me. "Why do you always put your hands under me, why not beside me or under your head?" She looked up at me without moving her head and tried moving her fingers under me. "My fingers are always cold and your body is warm so you keep them toasty. Don't act like you don't enjoy my embrace." She said cockily and I smiled at her little burst of confidence, she seemed to be growing more comfortable with me as the hours go on and I knew that it wouldn't be much longer until she'd fall for me.

"I will always keep you warm little dove."

~~Hope you enjoyed this chapter, don't forget to like and comment! Much love!