Chapter 30

MATTIA'S POV:

Elena hadn't answered any of my calls all morning. I knew we weren't exactly on talking terms, but we needed to have an actual conversation if she was serious about Kio. If she's happy, I'd leave the picture for good.

It was starting to get dark out. I'd waited the whole day for Elena to call me, but I guess she was busy with Kio. I turned my phone off and got into bed.
It took me a while to sleep since it was still pretty early, but I found myself finally drifting off when I heard a knock at my door. I looked up to see Mom walking in to check on me.

"Hey Ma" I yawned, sitting up.

"Hey baby" she said quietly. She came and sat at the edge of my bed, placing her hand on my leg with a sad smile.

"What's wrong?"

I held her hand and she took a breath.

"Mattia please talk to Elena"

I sighed and leaned against the headboard. I stayed quiet for a second as I thought about it.

"Don't you think I want to? She's the one who doesn't want to talk to me"

"You're both being stubborn, you don't know what the outcome will be if you don't at least try" she pleaded. I massaged the sides of my head with my fingers slowly and took a deep breath.

"Fine" I let my hands drop into the covers as a smile spread across my Mom's face. She clapped her hands together and gave me a kiss on the head.

"Now go get my daughter in-law" she said, pulling me out of bed. I looked at her after she spoke and narrowed my eyes at her.

"Oh yeah? What happened to 'you're being irrational' and 'you need to slow down'" I said in her voice, causing her to laugh.

"I take it all back, get married whenever you want, that's yours and Elena's decision, as long as you're happy, my son" she beamed at me, placing her hands on my shoulders. I returned the smile before heading out.

I reached Elena's house for 10pm, and noticed the front door was open a crack. I cautiously approached it and peered inside. No one was in the hallway and the lights were all off downstairs. I walked inside, closing and locking the door behind me. Still keeping my guard up, I made my way upstairs to Elena's room, the only room with a light on. As I got closer I could make out crying, and sped up my pace. I opened the door and saw Elena.

She was sitting on the floor, leaning against the wall, hugging her knees to her chest. The room was a mess. There were clothes were everywhere you looked, even a glass had been thrown resulting in glass shards to be all over the floor.

I rushed over to her but she flinched when I went to touch her.

"Elena? What happened?" I said softly, she wiped her face and frowned.

"Kio happened"

I clenched my jaw and realised they'd had a fight. And Elena obviously hadn't been the driving force in it. Without letting her fight me again, I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her into my chest.

I felt her sobs and held her tighter. I knew I'd be hugging her again one day, I just never imagined it to be because of a situation like this.

"I'm sorry I wasn't here" I said quietly, and she pulled away looking up at me.

"It wasn't your fault Mattia, it was mine"

"At least he's gone now" I said, keeping my arms around her. My blood boiled at the thought of him putting his hands on Elena. I didn't even know if he did yet, but the sight of her room was enough to piss me off more than ever. And there was no way he was getting away with it.

I held her for a little while longer until her eyelids started getting heavy. I placed my arms under her legs and my other on her back, carefully picking her up.

"I'm sorryyy Mattia"

Her words were slurred as she tried to stay awake.

"Shh, we'll talk about it later"

I stepped around the glass shards and gently set Elena down on the bed, tucking her in. I turned to look at the bedroom and tried to tidy as much of it as I could so she'd have less to do in the morning.

I finished up and picked up my keys.

"Can you stay with me?"

I looked back and saw Elena sleepily rubbing her eyes. My lips curved upwards into a smile, as she patted the space next to her. I closed the door and took off my jacket, hanging it up on her door.

I got into bed but kept a small distance away. I wanted to wrap my arms around her, but I was scared it was too soon, so I kept to my side. She drifted off to sleep soon enough and I stared up at the ceiling. I heard a phone vibrating and looked at the nightstand. I shouldn't have peeked, but I picked Elena's phone up and saw Kio's messages.

22:30 : I'm sorry I lashed out at you baby

22:30 : let me come over

22:30 : I promise I'll make it up to you ❤️

I turned off her phone and placed it face down on the nightstand. Fucking simp. I mean I couldn't exactly talk, but seeing the words "lashed out" angered me differently. I looked over at Elena. She was in a deep sleep, I slowly reached over and kissed her forehead. And when I tell you how much I missed doing that.

I stayed awake all night, staring at Elena as she stirred in her sleep. I kept tucking strands of her brown hair behind her ear so it wouldn't fall in her face. I was too excited to sleep. After everything I'd done, was she actually willing to take me back? And potentially even get married?

After getting lost in my thoughts about the future, I decided to go to the bathroom real quick. Once I got in, I noticed Elena's infamous watermelon lotion wasn't in its usual spot. Weird. I glanced in the trash and noticed it. Nah, no way. Luckily, the trash can was empty so I reached in and took it out, placing it where it was before.

Now I just needed everything else to go back to how it was before. Before Cindy. Before Jackson.

And before a square headed bitchass called Kio.