Chapter 7

Again, Riot gets left in the car at first, so he's a little confused when Sam comes back to get him and he's soaking wet and smelling like cleaning supplies. Then they find Dean inside, and he's also soaking wet and smells like cleaning supplies. Needless to say, that doesn't answer any of his questions.

They're not alone, though. There's another boy in this abandoned Iowa church, an Asian kid who's probably in high school or college. He can't even imagine being a teenage hunter, and the fact that he's been alone... Riot tries not to think about it.

"So, this is what you've been up to, huh?" Kevin asks. "You've been hanging out with a dog?"

Riot would like to be as defensive against Kevin as he was against Dean, but Kevin's petting him. He can't get mad at someone who's petting him.

"It's a long story," Sam says.

"But yes," Dean adds. "That's exactly where he's been."

"Dean." Sam kicks him in the shin, which brings a little joy to Riot's day.

"Who taught you all this, anyway?" Dean asks, eyeing the graffiti that covers every inch of the place. Riot had assumed it was from thugs that think defacing religious monuments is a personality trait, but it sounds like it's just a hunter thing.

"God, I guess," Kevin says.

"God taught you how to trap demons?" Sam repeats, incredulous.

"Technically, yeah."

Maybe that's why he decided to hunker down in a church. He's religious. Is he aware that God isn't going to save him from the monsters? Rio learned the hard way that this isn't the way it works.

"Crowley kidnapped you," Sam says. "I saw that. But then you said you escaped. How?"

Kevin begins explaining a story that Riot is sure would make a lot more sense if he knew who Crowley was. The guy kidnapped him and brought him to some warehouse, tried to make nice, and told the guy to read a tablet — about which Dean was shocked, because apparently it's a Word of God, and he didn't know there were multiple Words of God, because apparently Words of God are not a new concept to them.

And then Kevin said he just because a prophet a year ago, mostly in exasperation because Sam and Dean were asking way too many questions, but, given that Riot doesn't understand any of these questions, he doesn't even acknowledge them. Instead, he focuses on the big thing — the dude's a prophet. Riot doesn't even know what it means to be a prophet, but holy shit, he's being pet by a prophet.

And, of course, there's a little voice in the back of his head telling him that Kevin probably became a prophet around the same time Riot became a skinwalker, and if Riot has had such a hard time adjusting, Kevin probably has, too. He makes a mental note to give Kevin a lot of extra love.

Apparently, this tablet was a demon tablet, which is a huge slap in the face because it implies that the Winchesters hang out with demons a lot. Riot's obviously heard of them, both at church and from his skinwalker peers, but he's never been near one. He's not sure he likes where this is going.

But then Kevin finishes the story, after a few other details, by saying he tricked this Crowley dude into waiting in the middle of a goat farm, waiting for him to open up the gates of hell, while Kevin was actually destroying some demons.

That was, to say the least, incredibly confusing and impressive.

Kevin assures the Winchesters the tablet's been stored in a safe place, which Riot finds comforting only because he doesn't know what the hell this tablet is or does.