Felt Like Forever

In which Luke Skywalker comes back from the mission he left on in the previous chapter, making Jalani Hal'star very happy to see him, as in the beginning of this chapter, she misses him dearly. His mission did not go well and Jalani comforts him. R2 has some problems that the two work to fix. He teaches her the basics of using a lightsaber(he doesn't know how to do much more than that anyways) and does some training himself. Cuteness and shenanigans ensue as always (Can we really take either of these two seriously though? Can we?). Occurs between A New Hope and Empire Strikes back, roughly a year after A New Hope. This occurs....a couple of days later(?) after the previous chapter. (We'll say that but I don't really know how long the mission took...even if it wasn't that long, she still seriously misses him. We're gonna say it was a couple days and that this is a shorter mission.)

I'm sitting on an old swivel stool in front of a monitor doing research on the planet where this mission was supposed to happen. I move back and forth anxiously as I research the group of people that Luke and the rest of the team are interacting with to see if they're good guys or bad guys and what kind of trouble they cause.

To my chagrin, it's all kinds.

Skywalker, you better come back to me or I might.....go talk to 3P0.

Oh dear....

I'm getting desperate. Not that I really want to talk to 3P0, I really just want to tell Luke that I did it so it will put the urgency of the situation in perspective for him. Not that he really considers me talking to 3P0 bad because he's always telling me to try to get along with him. 

Yeah no. I'm not going to give Luke that satisfaction. How can I make this situation dire??? I tap my fingers on the monitor in front of me while I wait for the information to pull up. Apparently, this is the slowest computer in the whole base. Everyone's always complaining about it, especially Wedge who....

Wedge!!! I forgot Wedge was here. Wedge won't make Luke jealous but at least, he's a familiar face. The introvert in me is pleased. As long as there's someone who I'm friends with...besides Leia and 3P0. Except 3P0 really likes me and Leia couldn't care less at this point. I'm really just another Rebel to her.

There's two friendly faces here, one droid and one human. I could care less about making Luke jealous so he'll come back here. I still really want to him come back though. Making him jealous is too petty and not that it wouldn't work but, we've gone through enough already. The information pulls up on the computer.

"Finally got it to pull up, huh?" Wedge asks as he walks over from doing who knows what.

"Hey, Wedge," I say casually, starting to look through the information and loading it onto a data chip for the Rebel leaders.

"You know that thing is so slow. I'm pretty sure a Bantha could run faster than the speed that computer works at," he remarks for the umpteenth time. I don't even know at this point how many times he's said it.

"I wouldn't know," I respond as I always do, "We didn't have stuff like this on Tatoonie. You also realize we had this conversation a month ago?"

"We did?" Wedge asks, shocked at the idea of ever having a conversation twice.

"Yeah, we did. You doing okay? Luke said you were stressed about some stuff," I ask as I turn my back to the computer to talk to Wedge, enjoying the swivel of the chair as I spin to face him. I'm having way too much fun with this. Luke's going to be concerned.

"I'm worried about getting demoted," Wedge whispers and I raise an eyebrow.

"You? I don't think so. You do a great job, you're one of the top pilots in the Rebellion," I say. Wedge points his index finger at me.