The Reunion: III

When Taehyung woke up, he let out a big yawn and stretched his arms. It was the morning of his eighteenth birthday. The summer of 2019, and he couldn't be more excited. When school began in the fall, it would be his senior year and then...college. He'd worked hard for many years in school, waiting for the chance to study abroad and now, he'd be able to do it. And he could already smell the food his mother was cooking in the kitchen.

          With his dreams in mind, Taehyung got up, showered, brushed his teeth and put on some makeup before getting dressed for his big day in some ripped, light wash skinny jeans and a blue and yellow basketball jersey that showed off his tanned skin beautifully. 

          "Taehyung, your brother's here!" his father yelled from out in the living room.

          Taehyung began grinning from ear to ear. It had been so long since he'd seen Jeongguk due to college and then moving across the country after his graduation. He ran at full speed through the house, threw open the front door and upon seeing his dark headed hyung, Taehyung proceeded to throw his arms around him and hug Jeongguk tightly.

          "Woah! I missed you, too." The elder laughed. "And what happened to your hair? I like it."

          Taehyung stepped back and brought his left hand up to touch his head. What used to be black hair was now dirty blonde with even brighter highlights. "Oh, this? Thanks. I got it done when school ended in May." It felt nice to have his brother's approval after all this time.

          "I like it even more."

          Taehyung looked over Jeongguk's shoulder to see none other than Kim Namjoon leaning against the side of his brother's bright red Convertible with his arms crossed and a stupidly beautiful smile on his face that made his dimples seem deeper than they'd ever been.

          "Happy eighteenth birthday," Jeongguk whispered.

          Taehyung let out a mix between an unbelieving scoff and a laugh, but it was all happy anyway. He then ran all the way to Namjoon, jumped into his arms and they both went on to kiss each other passionately after years of being apart.

          At least, that's how Taehyung would've liked it to go down.

          In reality, both boys walked halfway to each other before they both stopped and each took a moment to take the other in with wandering eyes. Then very slowly, they hugged.

          "Hi," Taehyung said quietly, his head laid comfortably on Namjoon's shoulder.

          "Hi." Namjoon responded, his smile only growing each minute.

          "Why did it take you so long to come back?"

          "Because the older you got, the more difficult it was to not be with you as more than just...whatever we were." He wasn't about to say the word friends because everyone was aware of something more special to their relationship being present for years. Namjoon pulled back from the embrace and cupped Taehyung's chin. "I figured if I just stayed away and waited for a while, the prize would be all the more rewarding. Looks like I was right."

          Taehyung smiled. "But I missed you."

          "Believe me, I get it."

          They both laughed.

          In front of the garage, Jeongguk started clapping and wiping at nonexistent tears. "So beautiful. Really guys, I did good."

          Taehyung broke away from Namjoon and ran at Jeongguk, just for the elder to dodge him.

          "I'd hate to be the resident party pooper, but you may wanna watch out, Gguk." Namjoon warned playfully. "It looks like Tae Tae's finally got a few inches on you."

          "Whatever." Jeongguk waved the matter away. "He'll always be more clumsy." Before Taehyung could get him for that statement, Jeongguk rushed inside through the front door. Taehyung shook his head and began to walk after him, but was stopped by Namjoon's arms wrapping around his waist from behind. "Let's go together."

          Taehyung wasn't about to do anything to stop what was happening, so he just intertwined both of their fingers in front of his stomach and giggled. He took one step forward but was halted by Namjoon taking a step backward. One step forward, three steps backward. One step towards the porch, five steps toward the car. It continued on like this until they both caved, breaking out into smitten laughter and Namjoon lifted Taehyung up, bridal style and set him in the passenger's seat, as the roof was already down. Namjoon then ran around to the driver's side where Jeongguk had left the keys in. Purposely, no doubt.

~

           "Where's your car?" Taehyung asked as Namjoon turned off the ignition.  They were parked somewhere out in the country, next to a large field full of alliums.

          "At an apartment in the city that I bought while I was interning my junior and senior years." He placed his hand on the lowermost part of Taehyung's thigh. "I could've gotten by with just living in a dorm, but I mostly bought it for us."

          "You did?" Taehyung would've loved to come up with a more creative response after years of being "too young" for Namjoon, but he couldn't think of one with the older boy kneading nameless shapes into his leg.

          "Mhm."

          It took Taehyung a moment, but he finally got the hint and climbed over into Namjoon's lap, sitting with his back to his chest.

          After a second of silence, Taehyung decided he needed to ask a few questions that had been bugging him for the longest time, even if he hated the answers he received.

          "When you were at college, did you ever get a-"

          "No." Taehyung smiled to himself and intertwined their fingers once again, both of their hands resting in Taehyung's lap. After all this time, Namjoon was still able to read his mind. But he wasn't finished.

          "Have you ever ha-"

          "Nope."

          Content and satisfied with both answers, Taehyung laid his head back to rest on Namjoon's shoulder. "It's a no for me, too. Regarding both questions."

          Namjoon was now able to more easily move his lips closer to Taehyung's neck and he inhaled, enjoying the perfume of the younger.

          "How is that possible for you?" Taehyung wondered aloud, finding it difficult to believe that a twenty five year old had never done it.

          "I had a husband to wait for, didn't I?" Taehyung smiled as Namjoon began peppering gentle kisses across his neck. "Yes, yes you did."

          After a minute, Taehyung turned so he could look into Namjoon's eyes. "You know, even though I do love High School Musical, I don't think it was ever enough to make the marriage official."

          "Oh? Then what do you suggest?"

          Taehyung turned more to whisper in Namjoon's ear. When he pulled back, Namjoon brushed a few strands of hair away from Taehyung's eyes.

          "I'd love to. But we can't right now. Your dear brother lent me his car, but not without restrictions."

          Taehyung rolled his eyes. "He has to make everything difficult."

          "Don't worry. I didn't get that apartment for nothing."