Chapter 1

©DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN VOLTRON: LEGENDARY DEFENDER! IT IS OWNED BY DREAMWORKS! THIS IS FAN-MADE!

.*.*.

The machine gave a harsh whine before humming to a stop as it extracted the capsule from beneath the surface of the ice. With brows pinched in concentration, the block of ice was removed slowly by delicate hands.

"That's it lad, ease it out." Coran spoke as he watched Matt examine the ice block in his hands as it was pulled out. "Just remember that it's quite delicate."

Matt let a small grin pass over his features. "Amazing." He turned to look over his shoulder at his fellow pilot.

"Isn't this exciting, Lance?" Matt called out, eyes sparkling with energy.

Lance rose a brow and gave the smaller male a flat look, "Yep, I'm brimming with excitement. Can't you tell?"

Matt deflated with a pout as he handed the ice block to Coran. "Lance!"

A snort escaped the lanky man as he stepped away from the tools and he lifted a hand to his face, snickering harder as he accidentally knocked against the visor of his helmet instead.

"Oh relax, of course I'm excited." Lance laughed, clapping Matt on the arm.

"As you should be." Coran spoke, smiling fondly at his two pupils. He gestured towards the ice block that he was currently setting safely into one of the transport capsules. "We're making history. Not only have we traveled farther than any human ever has, but this ice could hold microscopic clues about the existence of life outside Earth."

"Just think, Lance." Matt spoke, awe coating his words as he slung an arm around Lance's shoulders. "We could use those clues to become the first people to meet aliens."

"My life's work would be complete if that were so." Coran said as he closed the capsule.

Lance sighed dreamily, "Tell me about it. Being the first to meet some intergalactic babes would make my life complete. " He joked, making Matt roll his eyes.

Suddenly, tremors wracked through the ground causing the three to stumble over themselves.

"What on Earth is this?" Coran started, startled. "Seismic activity?"

"Let's head back to the ship." Lance suggested. However, the area was shrouded in sudden darkness and the three looked up, only to stare in disbelief and awe at the sight of a cruiser ship making its way overhead.

"What the cheese?!" Lance gasped as he took a startled step back.

"Wha? What is that?" Coran exclaimed as the ship grew closer. "It can't be..."

There was whirring sound and on the bow of the ship, it began to glow a bright energy. Lance's eyes widened as he realized one thing: If they didn't move now, things weren't going to end well.

"A-Ah, now" Lance gulped, watching the energy get brighter and larger with each passing millisecond. " is the time to run!" He stumbled, backpedaling and pulled Coran and Matt along, "Run! "

The three of them broke out into a sprint towards their ship as the cruiser suddenly expelled a large brightly colored beam of energy over the ground below; it quickly grew in size, expanding over the area and sucking up all their supplies they abandoned in their haste.

Lance's pulse thundered in his as ears as they pushed their legs as fast as humanly possible but alas, they could not outrun the beam and he watched in horror as the bright light washed over his teammates from his peripheral vision, before he too was engulfed; fear and dizziness the last thing he felt before everything went dark.