Chapter 2

©DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN VOLTRON: LEGENDARY DEFENDER! IT IS OWNED BY DREAMWORKS! THIS IS FAN-MADE!

.*.*.

It was beautiful.

The sight of that large, glowing star had nearly sent him into tears as it peaked over the horizon, dying the sky in an orange hue. He had sunken down to the ground as it steadily lifted higher; watching as the sunbeams kissed the earth in it's radiant glory.

'Gorgeous.'

Hugging his knees to his chest, Lance frowned. To think this would be something that he'd miss.

A sunrise.

It wasn't until he was trapped in that dark and dank cell, only taken out to fight for his life and go through hell, that he realized just how easy it was to take advantage of the things that come with freedom.

A sunrise.

Being outdoors.

After waking up in a frenzy at being in an unfamiliar place and stumbling out into the desert after demanding space from unfamiliar people, the only thing that had manage to calm Lance from his panicked mind was the sight of the sun rising as he realized just how long it had been since he had seen anything remotely familiar.

His weary blue eyes slipped away from the view as they landed on his right arm.

Not even his own body was familiar to him anymore...

He squeezed his hand into a fist as he watch the prosthetic move with detached interest. It hasn't been too long that he's had this thing, he was sure – and yet... he couldn't quite remember how he got it...

The sound of footsteps approaching him had him tensing and he quickly turned around, shooting a look in the direction that it came from, only to freeze in surprise as his light colored eyes met dark brown ones staring back at him.

Hunk gave him a weak smile that was empty of any humor as he squatted down next to him, careful and slow. As if afraid to spook him. Lance looked away, fisting his hands at the thought.

"How are you holding up?" Hunk questioned quietly. Lance failed to respond right away, as he shifted his gaze to the sunrise once more, taking the calm it gave him.

"Better than earlier." He mumbled, voice rough. He cleared his throat.

"It's good to have you back." The words made a soft laugh pass through his lips, sounding as hollow as he felt. Despite being physically back on his home planet, he definitely didn't feel as if all of him was back. It felt like his mind was still away and having trouble catching up and coming to terms that...this was all real. That he was finally...home.

"It's good to be back." Lance looked at Hunk from his side view, turning to him slightly with a tired smile.

Hunk smile briefly before his expression fell somber. "What happened to you? Where...where were you?"

Hunk watched as Lance's eyes grew dim, shadowed by a fog that hadn't quite disappeared from them since his awakening.

"Dunno." Lance spoke simply, turning his gaze skyward as he tilted his head back.

"You–" The other man blinked, "You don't know ??"

"Everything's...fuzzy." Lance elaborated, brows furrowing. "My head feels like a mess and my memories are...scrambled. I was on an alien ship and somehow I escaped..." A thought occurred to him as he turned to Hunk.