Chapter 3

©DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN VOLTRON: LEGENDARY DEFENDER! IT IS OWNED BY DREAMWORKS! THIS IS FAN-MADE!

.*.*.

It was unexpectedly dark inside the castle as the five of them walked inside. The walls were far and yards aparts while the ceiling seemed to go on forever. They walked carefully throughout the main floor, silent and nervous as they took in what they could see in such low lighting, scouting the immediate area for any signs of life.

Therefore, it was pretty fair for everyone to be reasonably startled when Allura called out a sudden, questioning " hello " into the darkness.

"Really ?!" Shiro hissed, throwing his hands out in exasperation as he tried to calm his racing pulse. Allura shrugged in response, as if that would answer for her actions.

Hunk sighed as he shook his head before turning his gaze to the side, taking in the vast staircase that stretched on before them.

"You know, for the size of the Lion, I expected these steps to be bigger." He spoke, head tilting as he considered it.

A light overhead flickered to life, causing them to gasp in surprise as it encased over them while the floor beneath their feet lit up vibrantly.

"Please hold. Identifying life forms." A voice spoke out, sounding not too dissimilar to Siri. A scanning system rose up from their feet and traveled over them. Lance frowned as he looked up,

"Why are we here?" He called out, "What do you want with us?"

The scan ended and the crystals on the walls turned on, reminiscent of a torch in the manner that they lit up. The lights glowed, illuminating along the staircase and into a hall directly in front of them.

"I guess we're going that way..." Hunk sighed out.

They traveled throughout the castle, hallway after hallway, the lights continuing to turn on one after the other as it directed the way. The way to where? No one had the slightest idea but they followed regardless, hoping to get some answers to this wild goose chase.

Eventually, they all arrived to a set of large doors that glowed and opened. Inside the room seemed like something out of a sci-fi movie.

"Where are we?" Shiro muttered as they dispersed to scout the room. Allura looked over to the side, watching as a podium turned on, blue symbols appearing.

"I think it's... a control room?" She replied in surprise.

A sudden noise had her squeaking as she turned around sharply to find the others staring warily as two columns rose out of the floor one after the other, fog clouding the area in their wake. Upon closer inspection, she realized that they weren't columns but instead what appeared to be pods, hosting a human-like silhouette inside each.

She hid behind Hunk as she gaped, "Are these guys... dead ?"

Before anyone could process it, the glass front on one of the pods dissolved, revealing a young man dressed up in strange attire. They all gawked, watching as his peaceful expression pinched before he jumped awake with a gasp.

"Mother !" He croaked out, frantically reaching out in front of him as he dove out the pod. Though his legs collapsed beneath him and his eyes slipped shut once more.

Shiro happened to be the closest to the pods and leaped forward to catch the other man before he could hit the ground, grunting as the solid weight nearly brought him to his knees. He quickly checked over the other man for any sign of injury.