Chapter 5

(Y/N) had just made it out of the castle when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

She whirled around to find Erwin behind her, a cigar hanging out of his mouth.

"Care for a puff?" He took the cigar and held it out.

(Y/N) shook her head. "No, thank you."

"Suit yourself." Erwin brought the cigar back to his mouth and inhaled.

(Y/N) stood awkwardly. Had the Commander stopped her just to ask if she wanted to share his cigar?

The night was dark but the sky was filled with thousands of twinkling stars and the moon was bright. (Y/N) looked up, examining the stars that she had once been forced to memorize.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Erwin spoke up from beside her.

(Y/N) looked over at him, confused. Was this really just a casual greeting?

"Yes, it is. It reminds me of my home." (Y/N) raised her gaze back to the stars.

"And where is home for you?" Erwin's voice was calm and soothing.

(Y/N) kept her gaze on the sky. "I was raised in the northern part of Wall Maria."

Erwin nodded. "I've visited the north a few times. It's not a very nice place in the wintertime."

(Y/N) chuckled a bit, remembering the blizzards and piles of snow and ice from her childhood. "No. No, it's not."

Silence claimed the air once again as the two continued to stare at the night sky.

"Do you know the stars?" Erwin finally spoke.

(Y/N) was taken by surprise. "Y-yes. How did you know?"

(Y/N) saw his white smile reflected by the moonlight. "You study them very intently. Only someone who knew what they were looking at would be that interested."

"Oh." (Y/N) dug her foot into the dirt beneath her.

"It's a very useful skill, knowing the stars, as I'm sure you already know. We use them quite often for recalibration outside of the walls."

(Y/N) nodded even though it was likely that Erwin couldn't see. "Yes, it has proved useful for me as well."

"Perhaps you would be willing to assist me on the upcoming expedition?"

(Y/N) looked over at him, making out his tall silhouette. "Yes, of course. Though I'm sure you can manage just fine on your own, Commander."

Erwin chuckled. "A second opinion never hurt anyone."

(Y/N) chuckled in return before deciding that she would get to the point. "Commander, is there a reason I'm here other than to look at the stars with you?"

Erwin laughed once again. The girl was very straightforward. He liked that, it was a good quality in a soldier. "Yes, actually. I wanted to congratulate you on your performance in today's training exercise."

"I see." (Y/N)'s hands balled into fists, she didn't want to have this conversation again.

"Did you enjoy their little celebration? In the mess hall, I mean." Erwin's voice held curiosity and a tinge of something else that (Y/N) couldn't place.

"I'm not really one to celebrate myself. And I'd have to say that it was a bit premature and unnecessary. I'm only one soldier, so I doubt I could make as much of a difference as they seem to think. And I've yet to be up against a real titan. For all they know, I could lose myself and freeze."