The War of The Heart and Mind

EREN

Shadows began to descend upon the trees signalling the fast approaching sunset and staring down at my handless arms, I grit my teeth together in frustration because unlike Ymir, I was not healing fast enough.

If they make their move soon; I don't know if I will be able to change and help Ymir...

"Hey Reiner, got any water?" Ymir called out as she fanned herself with her regenerated hand, "Help a girl out, I'm dying over here."

"Sorry, there's not a lot I can do even if it is a matter of life and death." Reiner smiled apologetically from his perch on the thick branch above us and narrowing my eyes, I watched him rub the back of his neck almost shyly as he addressed Ymir, giving him a much less intimidating persona, a far cry from the domineering man he had been a mere few hours ago.

Somethings off with him, I can feel it...

"That's comforting. Well, at least now we know where we stand, sort of", Ymir grumbled as she ran a hand down her flushed face, sweat making her dark brown hair stick to her face as steam continued to rise from her almost healed leg.

If only I could be so lucky.

"Speaking of which, we've been working our asses off, no food, no sleep, no nothing. Ever since those Titans showed up, that was yesterday right?" Reiner rambled, and every one of us turned to look at him as if he had grown a second head, "Man, we're lucky the wall hasn't been destroyed. Still, you'd think they would give us a break, and god don't even get me started on promotion."

What the hell?  I thought he wanted the wall destroyed?!

"What?" Reiner challenged as he caught Bertolt's alarmed gaze, "Aww come on, I don't think that's too much to ask, do you? God knows we've done our fair share of the heavy lifting and if the Sparhawkes can be promoted so young, why can't we? I mean, I get it, were soldiers', duty first. It's just nice to be acknowledged is all I'm saying."

Nice to be acknowledged? What the fuck is he talking about?

"You bang your head or something?" Ymir puzzled as she looked at reiner with apprehensive eyes, "What are you even talking about?"

"Don't give me that!" Reiner threw back as he held his arms out in exasperation, "I'm not saying we storm in and demand the rank of captain or anything."

"No that's not what I mean..." Ymir trailed off as her sharp eyes narrowed in on Bertolt before returning back to Reiner with a suspicious look, almost as if she had figured out what the hell Reiner was talking about.

"Oh yeah, where did you find that canon by the way, I owe you one for saving my bacon. Well you and Aurora both, did you see the way she wrestled with that Titan when it tried to smash my head in?!" Reiner gushed in awe with a deep blush forming on his sharp cheekbones that had my insides reeling in disgust, "That's twice she's saved me now. I'm starting to think she might have a soft spot for me if you know what I mean, er no offence, I know she's your sister, but damn she's wasted on Captain Lev-"

"HEY!" I screamed, unable to hear him talk about Aurora any longer, not after everything he had done to her, "What's wrong with you?! You've got to be kidding me!"

Has he gone soft in the head!? A soft spot for him?! After he destroyed our home?!

"Huh, what are you so pissed about all of a sudden, take it easy man, is it what I said about your sister or er?" Reiner said confused as he held his hands up in surrender, his face the perfect picture of ignorance and I felt my fury spike.

He doesn't get to talk about her! He doesn't get to think about her! Who the fuck does he think he is?!

"IF YOU WANNA DIE THEN JUST KEEP TALKING!" I stormed as I jumped up to my feet and jabbed my stump at him threateningly with my teeth bared in a snarl.