Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Everyone at the palace stood with their hearts in their throats, waiting for the sound of the horn—the symbol of war about to begin. The tension in the air was palpable, as both soldiers and civilians held their breath, bracing for the imminent conflict that could shatter their peaceful kingdom.

Just then, an arrow landed with deadly precision, striking the wall near the highest point of the palace where the flag of the Chand Kingdom fluttered proudly. Tied to the arrow's end was a small piece of parchment, rolled and sealed with wax.

Everyone knew what that piece of paper meant. It contained the list of demands that, if met, could potentially halt the impending war. Thousands of lives would be saved if these demands could be fulfilled, but deep down, everyone knew that the cost might be too great, and the consequences too dire.

King Zaid, the wise and battle-hardened ruler of Chand Kingdom, took the parchment into his own hands. He was a realist and didn't want the blood of thousands of his loyal men on his hands. He didn't want the cries of women and children to haunt him till the day he drew his last breath.

The first demand was as expected—the kingdom of Chandgarh would have to surrender its independence and become a dominion of the Surya Kingdom. King Zaid read through the lines, his brow furrowed with concern. However, the message also assured that internal matters of the kingdom would remain in the hands of the present ruler, King Zaid himself. While this might seem like a favorable compromise, he couldn't help but feel a pang of anguish for his beloved kingdom's autonomy.

The second demand stated that the Chand Kingdom would pay a meager 3% tax to the Surya Dynasty in exchange for full protection and assistance if need be. King Zaid couldn't deny that this offer seemed surprisingly generous for a kingdom led by a ruthless conqueror. Yet, the warlike nature of the Surya Kingdom left him skeptical of their true intentions.As he contemplated these demands, he couldn't shake the overwhelming weight of responsibility on his shoulders. The fate of his people rested on his decisions.

However, the third and final demand shook Zaid to his core, creating a turmoil within him like never before. A battle was waged within his heart—a battle between a father and a King. According to the message, he was to hand over both of his daughters, Princess Hayat and Princess Rukhsat, to the Surya Kingdom. They were to be married to the reigning King and his younger brother, cementing an alliance through marriage.

Everyone knows how fathers are exceptionally attached to their daughters. Even a king bows in front of his daughters. He loved them more than anything else in the world, but the question before him was an agonizing one. Would he be willing to send thousands of men to their deaths, or would he rather sacrifice his precious daughters for the sake of his kingdom?

He decided to let his daughters decide the fate of their kingdom. With a heavy heart, he walked towards the room of his eldest daughter, Princess Hayat. At this point, the old and brave King himself didn't even know what he was hoping his daughters would say. The weight of the world rested on their shoulders too, and he couldn't bear to see them burdened by this choice.Entering Hayat's room, he found her engrossed in prayer, seeking guidance from the gods above. She looked up, her eyes reflecting a mix of worry and determination as she spotted her father's presence.

"My dear Hayat," King Zaid spoke softly, "a grave situation has arisen, and the choices we make will determine the destiny of our kingdom."Hayat rose from her prayer mat, her graceful movements expressing both strength and vulnerability. "Father, I can feel the weight of this moment. I know the decisions we make will have far-reaching consequences."King Zaid felt immense pride for his daughter's maturity and wisdom. "Indeed, my dear. We have received the demands, and it is now up to you and Rukhsat to make the choices that will shape our future."Hayat's heart was heavy, but her resolve was unwavering. "I will do what is best for our people and our kingdom, Father, even if it means making sacrifices."Her father's eyes glistened with unshed tears. "You are a true princess, my Hayat. Your strength and courage will guide us through this dark time."