A Ghost from the Past

Wyatt's heart froze in his chest. His hands started shaking. She was alive. Wyatt glanced around. Darek was no longer in the room. He was alone with Aros.  Aros calmly waited for another question as the snicker was heard again from under his mask.

"She's in the nightlands?"

"Most of the time."

"Wha? Bu—Hold on...Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why has she never...I'm...Does she not want to be near me?"

Aros lifted an eyebrow. "You're her son. Of course she wants to be near you."

"Then why has she hidden from me so long?"

"It's not you she's hiding from."

"Then who?"

"Roy."

"Why?"

"The last few months of her pregnancy, Roy sort of kept implying that she just needed to hold on until you were born and then she could die. It was like he was waiting for it. He never told her that he forgave her for Maverick's death when he had the chance. It's haunted her ever since."

"Has he forgiven her?"

"Yes."

"How do you know?"

"I heard him say it."

"Did you tell her?"

"Yes."

"Why didn't she return to me, then?"

"Now that is a question for her."

"Where did she go?"

"The Frost Kingdom."

"I'm sorry, what?"

"It's another kingdom of water users. These ones specialize in frost."

"So the water users aren't all dead then?"

"Nope."

"Is there a possibility she'd be back in a couple days?"

"No."

Wyatt looked down in defeat.

"Are we done then?" Aros wondered.

Wyatt stepped over to one of the chairs and plopped down. "Yes, we're done."

"I have a question for you," Aros said looking at him. "Why are you so invested in wanting to know about your mother?"

"I don't know."

"Alright then," Aros said shrugging and heading back over to his seat.

He picked up his drink and sipped it as he opened a book. Wyatt stared at him. He wanted to know more but he didn't have the right questions. He wanted to interact but Aros was too eccentric. Wyatt got up and slowly stepped over to the chair in front of Aros. He sat down and watched Aros closely. Aros lifted an eyebrow as he met his eyes.

"I want to know more," Wyatt told him.

"About what?"

"Is there a chance I could be a blood user?"

Aros thought for a second. He looked at Wyatt closely. "I don't think so..."

"Did everyone know my mother was a blood user?"

"Just Roy."

"He never told me that."

"It's not something people tend to want to share."