Chapter 16

The rest of the week passed without too much else happening. When he told Ned about his workstation in the lab, he freaked out. It felt good. When he got home from school on Monday he found May aleady home. He didn't really question it too much. He went over to the table where she was sitting and found her staring at a white envelope with the hospitals official seal.

"What's in there May" he asked.

She looked up at him with a nervous smile.

"Peter," she began, "do you remember when I applied for the nurses exchange program"

"Yeah" he said his voice going up a little.

"I think that this is it" she carefully.

The conference was a place that nurses could come together to exchange stories and listen to more prominent people in the field. May had always wanted to go. But she had never had enough money. Thankfully her hospital had a program to pay for a few nurses trips. Parker Luck™ persisted though and the hospital had rejected every application of hers SK far.

But the envelope in form of them looked different than all the others. It was thicker for one. And it seemed to be able to fit more. Like maybe a plane ticket and and itenrary.

They both stayed where they were. Not wanting to open the envelope ok case it was a rejection letter.

Finally Peter decided he had enough and grabbed the envelope and the letter opener May had obviously gotten out and shoved them into her hands.

She looked at him and when he gave a an encouraging nod of her head, she took a deep breath and opened the envelope in one quick motion.

She is reached her hands in and pinched the contents. And out came a small glossy brochure and a copy of her application that had been stamped with a large green 'aproved'.

They looked at eachother before grabbing eachother into a hug and dancing around the kitchen.

After they settled down they went off to their favorite Thai place to celebrate.

Once they got their larb, they had a more serious talk. She looked at the itenrary for a few moments.

"This is happening this weekend, will you be ok staying home alone" she asked.

"May, I'm 14, I can take care of myself" he said thinking of his alter ego.

She didn't look very convinced of that.

"The only reason I was comfortable applying all the years before was because Ben would be home. But, he's not anymore..." tears formed in her eyes.

"He would have been so proud of you" Peter said coming over to her side of the table to give her a hug.

********

When he told Ned the next day he was exited for May. May saw Ned almost the same way she saw Peter.

"May wanted to check if I could stay at your place this weekend" Peter told Ned.

"Sorry, you can't, I'm going down to Philadelphia for the weekend. We're visiting my aunt and uncle" Ned told him.

"That's what I told her, but she wanted me to check" he said laughing.

They laughed at May's over protective antics and walked into the school. He went I his classes, got roasted my MJ at lunch and eagerly awaited the final bell.

Finally it went. He hurried out of class and shoved everything in his locker. After that he ran towards his usual alley way by the school to change. He noticed that his suit was starting to hang a bit looser on his slim frame. That wasn't very good for the aerodynamics. He would have to either fix that or create a whole new suit.