Chapter Nine (Picture of basketball court)

Chapter Nine

(Kayla’s P.O.V.)

My first basketball game. I was really nervous; I was playing with all boys. My basketball team (Jordans) were versing the Smith Park.

‘I don’t think I can do this,” I said, biting my lip to Kyle, shaking my hands to get rid of the nervousness.

“Calm down, you’re going to be fine,” he said, gently.

He quickly took off his shirt. My eyes popped out. Whoa...forget six-pack, c’mon on eight-pack...

Whoa, you got a boyfriend stupid! I scolded myself.

Kyle slipped on his basketball jersey. He was 10 and I was 23.

Dominic sauntered over. “Hey you two.”

I’d told him about keeping our relationship a secret for the time being-and he totally understood. This meant no kissing or any boyfriend-girlfriend stuff.

Then, we all headed out on to the court. Fans were screaming and there were cheerleaders flashing pom-poms. I didn’t really get it. I thought the cheerleaders cheered for football games...not basketball games.

“Okay, Bradman and James are off first,” Coach said.

I only just realised that he was talking about me. I was so used to hearing Kay, or Kayla. The siren went. Game time.

The boys ran on to the court-except for Dominic who was waiting for Kyle to be gone. He smirked at me, and kissed me tenderly but quickly on the lips.

I laughed. “Good luck.”

Dominic smirked. “Same goes for you, babe.”

It sounded weird but nice for him to call me babe. He winked at me. I laughed.

Did I mention he looked absolutely ah-mazingly hot in a basketball singlet? I was proud to call him my boyfriend.

I spotted Heather in the crowd and waved to her. She waved back, and turned to rummage through her giant-sized bag. Finally she pulled out a giant sign saying JORDAN ARE THE BEST! DON’T MESS WITH THEM! I grinned and flashed her a thumbs-up sign. Heather really was the best friend ever. And I was far from exaggerating.

The game started. Dominic managed to score 2 goals in 30 seconds (no wonder he was captain) which was bizarre, but then the other team managed to score 3 goals-due to their seriously tall guys.

I mean, we had tall guys (e.g. Dominic, Kyle, Tyler Brooks and Kato Perkins)-but their guys were massive. And they were muscular. Like...Dominic’s really muscular-but they had literally body builder muscles.

Before I knew it-I had to go on. Dominic and another guy on the team, Lee Robinson was going off. When Dominic passed me, he winked.

“Break a leg, babe,” he told me.

What was it with him and babe tonight? Okay, that totally came out wrong. I meant, what was it with him and saying babe tonight?

“I hope not physically,” I said back.

He smirked, and sauntered off the court. I faced my gaze back to the opposition, gawking at me. Even the umpires were gawking at me. Oh crap.

One of the stupid Smith Park jerks strode up to me, smirking.

“I’m sorry sweetie, but I think the Barbie Convention is in the next neighbourhood,” he sneered.

I narrowed my eyes back at him. “I think you better shut your ass pretty boy, or something bad’s gonna happen. And I don’t think pretty boy wants his ass kicked by a girl-does he?”