04 ➝︎ neighbors

Elise found that saying goodbye to Aiden was far more painful than she'd expected.

She'd prepared for the worst, too, but there was just something about the way the little boy looked at her, with big, hopeful eyes and the pout on his lips; riddled with confusion and disbelief all at once- it reminded her why she hated goodbye's in every sense of the idea, for a goodbye meant leaving, and leaving meant uncertainty.

She'd never cared much for uncertainty, never did too well with it. Surely she'd already wasted too much of her life guessing, and she was tired of it.

So, she didn't say goodbye. She never did. Instead, she settled with a tight hug, whispering assurances in his ear that she'd see him soon, all while the small boy nodded furiously in response, trying his hardest to contain a quivering lip from his older sister. The last thing Aiden wanted was for anyone to know he was upset, though it was quite futile, for the sad smiles of those watching the two embrace made it rather clear that he hadn't hid it too well.

That was nearly an hour ago, when the girl had watched her brother and father disappear down the street, but they'd only gotten about 20 minutes away before they were well on their way back, purely on the basis that the young boy had 'accidentally' left one of his new rocks on his sister's coffee table- and simply could not go without it. He hadn't thrown a fit, but his dad caught the pout in his eyes through the rearview mirror, and he understood his son's motive all at once. He just wanted to give his sister another hug.

So, he did just that. And while both Michael and Elise chuckled in amusement at his thinly-veiled plot to get his father to drive him back, she found it entirely endearing.

"Okay, little man," Michael appeared in the doorway, having left the two siblings alone to say yet another goodbye- though, Elise didn't say the word- under the guise of searching for any more of his forgotten items. "Any more hidden rocks we need to find? Maybe a seashell or two?" He raised his brow at the boy, who was clutching his sister's hand tightly.

"Nope," Aiden smiled, his head shaking, now pleasantly satisfied with himself.

"Mhm," Michael narrowed his eyes at the boy, playfully suspicious, moving to open the door for the duo. "Sneaky kid,"

Elise felt herself smile gently, letting Aiden lead her to the hall she had slowly become familiar with. She could admit that this impromptu return was nice, and thoroughly eased her mind. She could see her brother anytime she wanted, and vice versa. They'd never be too far away.

She felt Aiden tug lightly at her hand, prompting her to bend down to reach his level. He often did that, whenever he felt the need to whisper a secret in her ear. "Listhi,"

"What's up?" She asked him quietly, appeasing him.

As quiet as he could, Aiden whispered back. "Don't tell Mike about the spec'thial rock," he reminded her, face serious as ever as he lifted a finger to his lips.

"I won't, I promise," She nodded, just as serious, mimicking the action with her lips.

As she straightened back up, she realized she'd momentarily forgotten about the smooth piece of stone waiting patiently for her on her nightstand. Perhaps she'd have to keep it in a more protected place, she thought. If it was that important to Aiden, it was that important to her.

"You whispering about me again?" Michael called out, still suspicious as he followed them out the door.

"Always."

"Rude." He deadpanned. "At least do it behind my back."

Aiden giggled and the sound made Elise smile. "Next time," she promised him.