1. Getting Reaped For Slaughter

Katniss Everdeen was on her way to the Capitol for her second Hunger Games. She really did not want to go. She didn't want to die. She didn't want to leave Prim behind. Or Gale. She was going to make sure Peeta wins.

Peeta Mellark or the Boy with the Bread as Katniss had dubbed him, was her fellow victor from District 12 and the similarities end there. Peeta was the baker's son while Katniss lived in the Seam. Peeta was an easygoing guy while Katniss was never a people person. In the last Games, both had done everything to keep each other alive. Katniss had pulled out a trick which had saved them both the last minute. This year they had made Haymitch Abernathy, their mentor, who was a former victor, promise to keep the other one alive at whatever cost even the other one's life.

Things have not been good between them, with the act of 'Starstruck Lovers', being totally fake on Katniss's side Peeta was heartbroken. He felt betrayed, used and thrown out like leftover frosting. Still, he loved her, a lot, that's why he had volunteered to be a tribute, not to win but to keep her safe.

The act did not leave Katniss unscathed. President Snow had given a visible threat to kill her loved ones if she did not keep up the act. He had accused her of the uprisings in other districts. She had no idea about it. Heck, she only knew there were uprisings when Snow told her. She wanted to run away from all this with Gale, Peeta, Haymitch, her mother and the kids. They had laughed at her plan and disapproved it. Gale wanted to fight back, get their freedom, to stop this merciless killing named Hunger Games. She didn't understand him and did not want to.

She shook herself out of her thoughts as she and her crew got ready to watch the reaping in other districts. "At least, I didn't have to go on the Victory Tour, to see everyone glaring at me while acting happy." She thought to herself.

Everyone watched quietly, commenting here and there. It started with District 1 as usual. This year the tributes will be chosen from the existing pool of victors along with new tributes from districts 1 to 6. Katniss thought it was too much of a coincidence. Snow had done something to bring her into the arena again, to kill her, to stop the uprisings. What uprising? Where was it happening? Why killing her would stop it?

She was brought back to reality by the sudden silence that instilled the room. She noticed that the reaping of District 4 was being broadcasted. Till now, all the carrier districts had strong and young tributes and the applause of the crowd was deafening. But now, it was silent in district 4.

The tributes from the existing pool of victors were already chosen. She recognized Finnick Odair, Capitol's boy. He was hugging an old lady while whispering something. The old woman had volunteered for Annie Cresta, a victor who had gone crazy when she saw a fellow tribute's being cut in front of her. 

Katniss realized something. The old woman, Mags did not volunteer to win, she volunteered to keep the mad girl from entering the arena. She saw her with a new found respect.

Now they were to choose the female tribute. The lady, who was obviously from Capitol, picked out a sheet from the slightly pink coloured bowl.

"Persephone Jackson!" She announced. 

Nobody clapped. Everyone looked horrified and sad. A woman, who was supposedly the girl's mother, in the back broke down sobbing, as a man held who himself looked like he was holding back tears. Even the Peacekeepers' faces were soft and sad.

A girl no older than seventeen stepped out of her line. Katniss had to admit, she was bold and beautiful. The girl's ocean like sea green eyes shone with determination as she walked towards the stage with her head held high. Her black hair was windswept and messy. She wore a simple pair of jeans with a blue shirt. She wore a weird bead neacklace too.

The girl's gait was confident as she walked there. She climbed up the stairs to the stage. She was just moving towards the Capitol Lady when there was a commotion near the stage. Several teenagers broke out from their lines and rushed towards her. The peacekeepers of the District left them while the ones from the Capitol moved forward.

"No! Percy! " A blonde girl who seemed to be her age rushed towards Percy and threw herself at her. The girl's momentum must have knocked out her but she held her ground. Percy's face was impossibly soft as she held her, whispering to her.

The blonde girl seemed to be sobbing when the others reached the stage. They promptly threw themselves at her. Percy calmly hugged everyone reassuring them. There were tears in her eyes only when a girl with spiky black hair and a boy with onyx black hair hugged her with tears running down their cheeks.

Percy's face turned stern as she said something which made them go to their places, albeit reluctantly. She made her way to Finnick, her face void of any emotions. She smiled at Finnick.

"Fancy seeing you here, Finn?"

Finnick ruffled her hair which messed it even more. She playfully swatted his hand with a indignant 'Hey!' which he ignored. 

"You're ruining my hair!" She said as she ran her hand through her hair trying to flatten it, failing immensely. 

'Great another Finnick' Katniss thought to herself. What happened next surprised her greatly.

Finnick threw his arm around her neck and messed up her hair even more as they both laughed. Percy then moved to Mags who returned her hug and gave her a kiss on her forehead. 

Percy returned beside Finnick whispering to each other. She smiled to the crowd and gave reassuring smiles to her friends. The crowd refused to clap. The Capitol Lady moved to the boys' bowl to choose the other tribute which was uneventful. 

"Who is she?" Peeta asked Haymitch curiously as the District 5 tributes were reaped.

"Persephone Jackson or as she prefers Percy. I've heard quite a lot from Finnick. He told me that she and her mother helps the poor and basically District Four's favorite girl. Rumor says she's been through a lot and that she still stands proud and tall." Haymitch responded.

"What exactly is she been through?" Peeta asked, his curiosity at its peak as the name rang a bell in his mind.

"I don't know." Haymitch said with a shrug as he narrowed his eyes at him.

Katniss won't admit but she was pretty jealous of Peeta's interest on Percy. That's why she quickly changed the topic.

"They seem pretty close, how are they going to kill each other in the arena?"

"They won't."

Katniss just raised her eyebrow at Haymitch's cryptic answers. "I think District 4 will be easy." She commented, something they had been doing for all the districts.

"I don't think so..." Peeta said thoughtfully as Haymitch threw his head back and laughed.

"What?" Katniss asked annoyed.

Haymitch calmed himself down to answer. "District 4 is easy, eh? Finnick is a trained killer, deadly with a trident. Mags is old but she still has her wits. Nathan is a born carrier. Percy is the best swordsman the Panem had ever seen. I wasn't kidding when I said she's been through things. They say she's been through hell and she came back alive and sane. District 4 is obviously easy for you, Sweetheart."

Katniss glared at him. Peeta seemed deep in thought while Haymitch cracked up again spilling the contents in his bottle as he shook with laughther. Effie gave him a disapproving look.

Just a normal day in the train headed towards the Capitol where the people see ruthless killing as entertainment and has the worst fashion ideas.